Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries producing fruit to soon?

Posted by resiak none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 5:51

Hello,

So I planted some bareroot strawberry plants about a month ago in container. Last night when I was watering I noticed they are already producing fruits! I couldn't believe it because the plants are still so small.

Should I pluck the buds off so the plants can focus their energy on vegetative growth?

ThanksDan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries producing fruit to soon?

Are they Junebearing or day neutral berries?

If you pick off all the Junebearing fruits, you probably won't get any more this year.

If day neutral, the plant will produce more.

o
RE: Strawberries producing fruit to soon?

Sorry, meant to put it in my other post. They are day neutral and they're also being grown indoors.

I actually just found the answer to my question.

"The flower buds of the day-neutral types should be removed for the first six weeks after planting, but the buds that are allowed to flower after that period will go on to produce a delectable harvest from late summer to frost in the first year. "

http://www.garden.org/regional/report/arch/inmygarden/4114

Thanks,
Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here