Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchtn

Fruit trees, bloom time frame

DutchTN
10 years ago

Hey guys...

My plum trees went into bloom early this year and we had some light freezing after the trees were in bloom.

My plum trees bloomed for a little over 2 weeks maybe 3, and blooms are now "dying" off, is this normal lenght of bloom or a indicator of frost damage?

Thanks for any help...

Comments (7)

• wasabinsoy
    10 years ago

Dutch,

seems about normal length of blooming to me. Our Japanese plums are always first to bloom and often get nipped. Last year no fruit at all...this year ours too got freeze burned a bit but not too bad....nature's thinning ;) Lots of healthy flowers among those browning though.

Pears and peaches are now blooming...european plums, cherries, and early apples like pink lady are just starting to break buds. Bees are happy, happy, happy

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

Definitely not an indicator of frost damage necessarily... Light freezing not likely a problem anyway... Teens or low 20's needed to kill crop in early stages of bloom, mid 20's for later stages generally (there are so many variables)

• DutchTN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok thanks guys...

@Wasabi, here too, looks like you are just on the other side of the mountain (east TN here) apples/pears are starting to bloom and leaves are running out, my peaches are almost done blooming as well.

@Fabaceae, we did not reach those temps, think 30F is the lowest its been while in blossom, so sounds like they should be ok.

Had a hard time finding information how long the blossom lasts on average per type of fruit, not sure if this depends much on weather, can imagine even polination might be a factor.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Blooms don't last long. A few days (some only 24 hours to get the job done) to maybe 10 days.

But some that may last only a few days will bloom a percentage over time to stretch the overall bloom period out. These are cultivars that are known as good pollinators for others of its species.

• DutchTN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification FN...

Just broke open a few "dead" flowers and I can see a tiny, but healthy looking green "berry" in the center, looks like we might have some plums this year :)

• BabinOgden
    10 years ago

Northern Utah Specifically zone 5b-6a Can a fruit tree be transplanted when it is blooming? It's been planted about 2 yrs. It is a "Fruit Coctail" of Peach, Plum, Nectarine. It had a small crop of nice-sized fruit of all 3 kinds last summer. We have moved (within same zone) and I want to transplant it to our new house. The Plum (I think) has finished blooming but the other 2 are in full bloom. Will I kill the tree to transplant it now? We need to move it within the next 3 wks or leave it. :-(

• DutchTN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Babin..

im not a expert but I think with some care and as much of the original root ball you can dig up and quick transplant, you should have a good chance when you keep providing it with enough water whole summer at your new place.

I think it would be best to pull the flowers from the tree when you do this, so it won't "waste" energy towards fruit production but can use it towards new root growth.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor