Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candylei05

weird spots on apricot fruit

candylei05
12 years ago

my large, at least 10 yr old, apricot tree barely fruited this year (just moved in to new place with tree already here) and some of the fruit have weird spots on them while some young fruit have fallen off. I water regularly (once every week) and fertilze every other water. what is going on? how do i get more fruits?

photo of the spots. sry couldn't get phone to focus

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/candylei05/Edens%20Progress/IMG_1363.jpg

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

does a 10 year old tree really need to be fert'd every other week ...

and explain how you water.. every week ...

ken

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

It looks like a disease of some sort but hard to tell with blur. Maybe coryneum blight or bacterial spot? I don't know the LA diseases very well so this is just a guess. Look to see if there is damage on the leaves as well.

Scott

• jean001a
    12 years ago

The camera won't focus because you're too close to the fruit. Back off a bit and try again please.

• candylei05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, I can't tell if your comments are sarcastic or if you're serious...Its an old tree and the old owners didnt take care of it and someone recommended feeding it with fox farms liquid fertilizers big bloom and tigers blood. I couldn't get my iphone to focus no matter how close and far up, but I do have another symptom: The fruits are getting to be about an inch and then they fall off some have made it past an inch but are still thereon the tree. But, I am noticing a lot of fruit drop for the amount of fruits that are on the tree.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Candy, if you can snap another photo of your fruit, it would help. Too blurry to tell what's going on. See if you can get the focus point on your phone camera to focus on the fruit, and not the leaves in the background. And, you may be overwatering. We've had a LOT of rain recently. I have had my water off now for about 3 weeks, now. Too much water and too much fertilizer (every other week is WAY too much fertilizer for stone fruit) can cause fruit drop. What type of fertilizer are you using and what is the NPK ratio? If it is a high nitrogen fertilizer, this may be the cause of your fruit drop. Lastly, did you do your dormant sprayings for PLC? If not, this could be a PLC lesion. Or, possibly??? snail damage, but can't tell. Lastly, if you could please paste in the HTML code, and not the URL to the photo, your photo will then be embedded directly into the message. Much easier for all of us on the forum to both read and see your photo :-)

Patty S.

• candylei05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks patty. I will try to get another photo but i've been trying to with my iphone and no luck (i think there's something wrong with the camera) I've been using the foxfarms tiger's blood(2-8-4) and big bloom(0.01-0.3-0.7) alternately maybe every other 2 weeks? They are organic and really good stuff. 1 1/2 tbsp per gallon of water and usually no more than a 3 gallon solution. I didn't spray this year I moved in in january and kept putting it off and then it bloomed : /
    here is another photo but still a little blurry
    {{gwi:80580}}

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH