Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnthecook

Williams Pride and Pristine apples

johnthecook
9 years ago

Anybody have these and which do you prefer? I just got both of these from Grandpas Orchard.

Comments (7)

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

If you like summer apples they are both quite good. Pristine is a bit earlier and WP has a very long picking season so both should be useful although you can probably graft another variety on Pristine if it is a vigorous rootsock. They go soft quickly and how many apples do you need in Aug?

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I don't have Pristine but have 2 WP, (one was moved so it has a big setback). Good flavor and some crunch to it. Everyone I gave it to loves it.

Mine are on M 7 so it flowered in 2nd year. I waited until 3rd year to let it fruit.

Last year, the first pick and the last pick were over a month apart, a long picking season which I like.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Hi John, I agree with Hman, that too many apples in August doesnt' leave room to crave a crisp fall apple. I find that my one Pristine is just enough. And yes, you must eat them or turn them into sauce, which I do (and apple butter) in August. My tree is now six years old and is producing just the amount I need and will eat and share. The apples start ripening early, August and are quite finished by the beginning of Sept. They make a great tart, and applesauce and applesauce cake. You will find yourself thinning a lot. I bag my apples as pristine's will tend to russet if there is too much sun on them. The tree itself is quite disease free and grows like stink. I have to prune off 'feet' of new growth each spring. Mine can have up to five feet of growth in a year. It is a pretty yellow apple Mrs. G

• murkwell
    9 years ago

What's wrong with russetting, especially for a fruit that you use for cooking?

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Actually russeting is in the eye of the beholder. Its aesthetic; I like my yellow apples, yellow. Mrs. G

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't mind russeting as someone that understands its natural, but people who I give it to would probably think its bad. I gave up bagging too much time for me.

• cwaitemaclin
    8 years ago

Hi. I really love both these apples. The Pristine begins to drop in mid-august so have to stay on top. Delightful flavor. The WP I have just picked( 9/13) and this was a banner year. It also begins to drop apples sooner rather than later and is a good sign to begin picking. My zone is 5b in Cushing, Maine. By the way, apple and peach production this year is outstanding. Waite Maclin (Pastor Chuck Orchards)