Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant store bought blueberry plants

Posted by naturetherapy 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 6:48

I was at home depot last weekend and saw blueberry plants and thought I should get a few before they were all out (since that's what happened to me last year). Now they're sitting in my windowsill and I'm not sure when to plant them. They are about 18 inches tall and have leaves. If I plant them out now will they go into shock and die? Should I cover them for a while until it warms up or should I just wait until the frost stops?
I'm in zone 6b
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant store bought blueberry plants

I would plant them. You can always protect them if you get a really cold snap.

o

I planted 3 blueberry plants (2 rabbiteye and 1 SHB) in January and the temperatures were in the 20s. They are growing fine now.

With that said, they came in cold dirt and I planted them in cold dirt. You may want to acclimate them to the outdoors before planting them. When you do plant them, water them well. Better too much water than too little water IMHO.

o

I forgot all about acclimatizing them! Thanks for the reminder. I think, then, that I'll take the week to do that and plant them this weekend

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here