Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf peach dropping fruit buds

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 7:27

Hi folks, I would appreciate some advice. I have a dwarf peach and this year it has flowered profusely. However it's dropping a lot of the little nibs after the petals have fallen. Is it just the tree just getting rid of some naturally or does it sound like a problem? It's in a cold greenhouse and I have given it a tomato feed a week ago
Any advice appreciated
Kind regards
Averil (uk)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf peach dropping fruit buds

If there is no wind there is a chance it was not pollinated adequately. Fruitnut is the expert on greenhouse pollination so hopefully he will chime in here. It could just be thinning, those dwarf peaches set a ridiculous number of flowers per inch. So if there are still a lot left it is probably thinning. It could also be too immature so it doesn't want to bear lots of fruit. Peaches drop a lot until they are a few years old.

Scott

o

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your reply. I have left the greenhouse door open on the odd nice day to encourage insects to pollinate it, however i have gone round the flowers with a small brush. I shall keep my eye on it and hope it is just thinning out because as you have said it had loads and loads of flowers on it. I just hope I can get one peach out of it because ive never seen them growing in the wild before (by that I mean ive only ever seen them in the supermarket) ha ha. Who would believe it and im 57 years old!!
Thanks again, Scott
Kind regards
Averil (UK)

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 15:58

Averil:

One tip on pollinating peach/nectarine is to spray lightly with water. Just a misting during bloom once or twice a day. I use a hand sprayer and plain water. Not sure it works but since starting haven't had a failure to set and did before.

This year I also hand pollinated mostly with my finger tip. Whatever I had a good set on everything this year.

o

Thank you fruitnut, that is a good tip. I have misted once but that was more to just give it a little bit of a shower than anything else. I shall definitely do that regularly now
Many thanks for your advice
kind regards
Averil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here