Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone ever top there fall bearing raspberries?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 7:32

I have a fairly long growing season and sometimes the red raspberries will make very long canes. I'm wondering if I could top them off at 3.5 or 4 feet and force them to branch and produce more berries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone ever top there fall bearing raspberries?

Yes, that is a good idea.

o

From the linked publication:

Pinching the primocanes (removing the growing tip) in July to stimulate growth of laterals will also delay fruiting. This is sometimes done to delay harvest until after the intense heat of July.

I think I'll try this. Thanks for bringing it up...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Cooperative Extension: Pruning Raspberries & Blackberries

o

>> Pinching the primocanes (removing the growing tip) in July to
>> stimulate growth of laterals will also delay fruiting. This is sometimes
>> done to delay harvest until after the intense heat of July.

Thanks Shazaam,

That's a helpful tip. We definitely have hot dry weather during July and August here in the Shenandoah Valley. A bit of a delay might improve my berry quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here