Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweetcrisp blueberry review

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 7:36

Picked the first two pounds of sweetcrisps yesterday though I do admit I have been snacking on them here and there. With other blueberries even after they turn fully blue they are still tart for many days and lack that blueberry flavor. With the sweetcrisps as soon as they turn fully blue they are sweet with that awesome crunch. To me they have more of a wild blueberry flavor but a texture all there own. In the coming days I know the fruit is just going to get sweeter and sweeter.

They truly are in my opinion the best blueberry by FAR for those home growers with the climate to grow them. When we went up to Just Fruits and exotics I was talking to the owner about blueberries and she asked what I grew and when I mentioned I had some Sweetcrisps she said they are not just a new variety they are a quantum leap above the other varieties.

I have 50 or so Sweetcrisps now and my only regret is I could have planted them a year earlier but was too slow and by the time I had the ground prepped for the bareroot plants my source ran out of them. I made sure on the next batch I was first on the list.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweetcrisp blueberry review

bamboo:

Thanks for that info. Wish you could do a brix. Mine last year were 18 the one time I tried. They are hard to get a brix on because they are so firm.

50 plants sounds like a bit much. That's a lot of picking!!

o

Heh that is just 50 sweetcrisps:) Last count I have 142 BB plants. We like to make blueberry wine and for that and the frozen berries it takes a lot of plants. I don't push my plants hard and prune to 5-7 lbs per bush max. This year with the late cold I did not have to do any thinning as mother nature pruned probably 60% of the flowers for me.

o

So glad to get the review on this variety, bamboo. I've been waiting a year. Now, where can we get Sweetcrisp? I can't seem to find a source. I'd love to add 4 of these to my lineup.

Patty S.

o

I want some now too Patty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here