Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiwi plants

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 7:37

I just received three kiwi plants that are intended to be planted to run up a soon-to-be completed pergola in Northern VA. The problem is that the pergola will not be ready for about a month. I transplanted them into three 1-gallon pots to wait for completion of the pergola and placed them in a mix sun-shade area. Is this okay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiwi plants

If they are small (as they probably are if they came via mail order) this is a good idea. In fact, you might want to grow them out for a year in containers before planting them. Little kiwis are, at least in my experience, pretty fragile, and many people have more luck with their survival if they put some size on them before placing them in their permanent location in the ground. Just try not to let them get root-bound.

o

I agree with Steve. In fact right now I have a large (20") pot growing happily consisting of cuttings I stuck in 4 or 5 yrs back to root as cuttings. I keep it in more shade than my kiwi in ground, but it has thrived and put on lots of growth yearly.

Pam in cinti

o

Pam, before you move on to another thread!

When did you take your cuttings? I have some argutas I'd like to clone to use as experimental rootstocks (and maybe even a few plants for insurance!).

o

Steve, I keep a couple large pots scattered thru my yard to use for cutting attempts. The pots are large and I have good soil mixed with chopped leaves and added Soil Moist crystals to help them maintain moisture. The pots are in mostly shaded areas. I found that if I prune kiwi shortly after growth begins and try not to use a too big cutting they usually do take. I'm guessing cuttings should be maybe 1/4" across and 12-18 inches long. I strip bottom leaves and jam it into the soil. Just be sure to put boys and girls in separate pots. I tried using a divider to keep them separate and some local critter removed the divider, Plants have flourished several years in pot but until they flower (likely this year) I can't tell which is which. I have had some flower in pots before so I know it is possible.

HTH

Pam in cinti

o

So you're using green wood for the cuttings?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here