Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Jujube Grating NMSU Dr.Yao

Tony
10 years ago

Demonstration of Jujube grafting. Pretty straight forward. In about 2 to 3 weeks I will be grafting 10 pencil size jujube rootstocks from Roger Meyer for $2 a piece. Hopefully in a year or two, I have a chance to taste Tiger Tooth, Shanxi Li, Sihong, and Winter Delights ( I heard the size of this one is pretty large).

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Jujube Grafting

This post was edited by tonytran on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 7:48

Comments (10)

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Tony let us know how your zone 5 jujube's do! I have 1 small tree that's 2 years old I'm growing as a test. It appears the Li graft has died and I have rootstock again so if you know any great scion sources please let us know.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clark,

I have Honey Jar, GA-866, Li, and Lang in the ground for several years and can handled -19F with no problem. Most Jujubes can handle the cold to -20-25F. I will attach Roger Meyer scion woods for sale list.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Roger Meyer Jujube scions and trees for sale.

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony I appreciate it! I'm top working some of our hedge to che as well this year and maybe I can find time to graft that jujube again.

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

May need extra care when young, because I've tried many different jujube cultivars and they just die to their understock, maybe one grafted one left. Che is hardier.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I seem to have had similar results as ClarkinKS, so I find myself needing to learn to graft jujube as well. It looks similar to other grafting methods. I know there is a way succeed with them here in Denver because that's how I found out about jujube; there is a nice tree about a mile from here. Last time I tried to ask the owner about his BYO he was too frail to show me anything.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MG,
    I do protect the new graft the first winter by wrapping them up with dried leaves.

Tony

• forestandfarm
    10 years ago

Tony,

I must have watched that video 20 times before my first attempt. I'll probably watch it another 20 times just before I bark graft a few later.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jack,

Any of your jujube or persimmon grafts take?

Tony

• forestandfarm
    10 years ago

I didn't have great luck, but this was my first bench grafting attempt and I was knowingly using undersized rootstock.

I tried bench grafting two Jujube. The second one is shown in the link below. I'm hopeful this one will take. It is the Silverhill from Roger grafted to my Tigertooth rootstock. (And as we discussed on the other thread whether these are actually different varieties or not is unclear). The first one I grafted was a couple weeks earlier. That one still has one tiny green leaf bud that has opened but has been stagnant for weeks. I'm presuming the graft failed and the bud is simply living off scion energy. I'll hang on to it just in case...

I've had zero success with the persimmon bench grafting. Again, the root stock was started from seed last summer so it was well undersized. I did this as much for the experience with bench grafting as for the results.

In both cases, my primary grafting will be done in the field in mid-may. I have scions from 19 different varieties or unique trees that I hope to bark graft.

I'm also planning on bark grafting two of my Tigertooth in the field that are a couple years old. I've ordered a few more scion from Roger. Admiral Wilkes and some more Redlands #4.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:80805}}

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jack,

Looks like you use the cleft method and the graft looks great. I think persimmon graft will do better when the temp in the upper 70's and the rootstock leafed out. Keep us update with your result down the road.

Tony