Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Li and Lang jujubes

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 7:56

I've always read to buy them both together for pollination. This gives me the impression that others won't pollinate. Is this a marketing ploy, are they exclusively mutual pollinators? Im wondering if ga866, honeyJ, or sherwood would do as pollinators?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Li and Lang jujubes

Others can pollinate either one. My impression is that any two will probably work, assuming they bloom together. Any three should certainly cover all bases. Of course I'll never be sure since I just bought four you mention plus two others.

o

In general Jujube is self pollinating, however they will bear more with a mate. Lang is not a good fresh eating jujube, it's dry and is a late bearer.

Bass

o

Bass, does Honey Pot need a pollinator? If it's self-pollinating, but will bear more heavily with a cross-pollinator, what would you suggest? I'm thinking of adding jujube's to my garden. They sound very interesting.

Patty S.

o

Patty,
I had Honey jar grafted into an existing tree, they bear well and very sweet with juicier flesh than others, but they're small.
I have a Honey Jar planted on its own by my dad's and had a light crop, mine I have grafted with other varieties, and bears a nice heavy crop. In your area, I would go for Li and honey Jar, those are my favorite.
I will have Honey jar ready in about a month.
You can find out more info on my site with photos.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: My jujubes

o

Thanks Bass. I'm in no hurry. I'll check in June.

Patty S.

o

I think years ago the only 2 jujube's readily avaialble were Li & Lang, so nurseries got in the habit of recommending both to ensure pollination. But as Bass says, most or maybe all jujube's are self pollinating.

Lang in Texas is actually a great jujube, but apparently not across the country. It tastes great here at peak ripeness, & also dries naturally & is great dried.

One drawback to jujube's is that they don't store worth a flip. 3-5 days after I pick them they're bland. Lang however seems to taste good a long time, the taste just changes over time as it dires

o

Thanks for the info

o

Bass,

I am a little further south of you near Philly and my Honey Jar are still green. Maybe ready in late August. How come yours be ready this early?

Thanks.

o

Am interested in getting both Li and Honey Jar, where would you recommend getting them online? ebay? ediblelandscaping.com?

Thanks much,
-Layne in NoVA

o

Has anyone tried coco jujube? :-) it sounds great but I can not find any info other than burnt ridge nursery and one other site of which I cannot remember. They both say nearly the same thing which isn't much? Tastes like coconut! :-)

Also... Are like and sugar cane good for Washington state zone 6?

William

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here