Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to prune?

Posted by joe-il 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 8:04

Things are moving along very quick here in N. IL. been about 20 degrees warmer than normal. I havent been able to dormant prune my apple trees and was wondering if its too late ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to prune?

Not at all. I'm still pruning here myself since we were snowed in so long. Some of the apples are already to tight cluster stage.

Scott

o
RE: Too late to prune?

I actually think it can be helpful to prune at the point you can see the flower buds. It may reduce the overall vigor somewhat by pruning when trees are in growth, but I've never seen research that specifically defines that point and I doubt it has much affect when only the spur and flower buds are showing. Haven't noticed a difference in response myself. Peaches are best pruned right up to full bloom and when their in growth according to Cornell. Somehow they can defend themselves better against canker when they're in active growth.

I'm going out to try to finish my own trees right now, pruned someone elses orchard yesterday and will probably be pruning tomorrow. Then I will concentrate on my delayed dormant spraying.

Summer pruning is good too. Don Yellman endorses doing all pruning shortly after harvest which certainly works fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here