Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_rabbit

Attention SHB Blueberry nuts

bamboo_rabbit
10 years ago

Just a FYI if you did not already know there is a new BB cultivar "about" to hit the market. The name is Raven and it is the last of the BB developed by Dr. Lyrene before his retirement from the University of Florida. Dr. Lyrene invented I have no idea how many BB both SHB and rabbits but some of his better known varieties are: Abundance, Primadonna, Sweetcrisp, Springhigh, Springwide, Southernbelle, Sebring, Millenia, Windsor, Emerald, Jewel, Bluecrisp....and a BUNCH more.

The last series of BB all had bird names. Bobolink, Meadowlark, Kestrel, Raven.....there is one more that escapes me.

I have already created a 14 plant row for the Ravens and it is my last available BB row. First the good news then the bad....

Raven produces HUGE berries. The average is 4 grams! but it is very common for it to produce nickle and quarter size berries that have exceptionally good flavor 9/10. Has no blight or rot problems. My commercial grower friend that saw the mother bushes said 50%+ of the berries were nickel to quarter size.

Now the "bad" news..... Raven is a late variety. It blooms about the time Star does. Because the fruit is so big it has a large scar. What that means is the cultivar is not going to be popular with the commercial folks as they want very EARLY berries and small scar that packs and ships well. To us home growers the lateness is an advantage as it prolongs the harvest and the plant is much less likely to get damaged by the cold. The scar....also a non issue for the home growers that consume or freeze the berries soon after harvest.

Because it is not going to be a commercial hit it is going to be a pain to get..think sweetcrisps were tough? This one is going to be much much worse. It is very possible these plants will never make it past limited distribution. Only ONE nursery is licensed to produce the plants. I have talked to Dr. Lyrene about this and there are no other options to acquiring the plants.

If anyone is interested let me know, here or via email. I can get the plants in the fall through a friend who is a commercial BB grower. I don't know cost yet or size. They might be 1 gallons they might be liners..... no idea on cost either but won't be expensive. Just trying to gauge interest. I won't make a profit on this just trying to help my fellow BB lunatics out and get plants out that could disappear.

It is kind of sad that the commercial side dictates whether a variety becomes popular or not but that is just how the market works.

Comments (45)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I think I already asked for two but would up that to 5-10 Raven if avaliable.

The other one of the five is Chickadee. The link below describes all five and gives pictures. I'd be interested in trying any of them. My experience is I can't tell from a description which will work best. The FHN unknown I have looks like Meadowlark because of the big berries and very loose clusters.

Here is a link that might be useful: New FL blueberries

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link and the name. A liner tray would be 60 plants so that is my target. I would take 1 gallons as well but my bet is liners will be what is available.

So I already have 25 requested plus your 10 so at 35.

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

I will take 2, sorry if thats too many!

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Thanks Bam I take 10 are what ever I can get less than 10.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Sure,I'd like to try two if available. Thanks,Brady

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I'd like 3, if possible. Thanks!

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't guarantee how many I can get but will distribute in the order asked for.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Bamboo, count me in for 2, let's see how they fare in S. Calfornia. I'm going to try to undertake building a large rectangular planter that runs along the side of my greenhouse that I can plant my blueberries in the front, and my thornless blackberries and raspberries behind, to climb on a trellis against the side of the greenhouse. I will also have it on a drip system, so no chance of forgetting to water.

Patty S.

• sandiego4s
    10 years ago

I want two. Thank you Bamboo!

• insteng
    10 years ago

If you have any extra available I would like to try a couple. I am just getting blueberries started at my place but my neighbor has some huge bushes and said they grow really well up there near my farm.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be 58... at 60 a liner tray is locked in. For anyone after that they would have to wait till the next 60 are spoken for.

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    10 years ago

I would take the last 2 if still available. Do you know anything about the chill on them?

Jennifer

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chill is 300-400.

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    10 years ago

Right at my max. Should be okay.

I have 4 plants - Pink Lemonade, Southmoon, Sharpblue and Sunshine Blue. They are in their 2nd year and are doing great. Just about ready for me to start munching on'em.

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    10 years ago

If there are any left, I would like two. Thank you.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I'm interested in 3, if possible. If you have anyway to include a Bobolink, I'd be interested in that as well.

Has their hardiness been tested? I can grow them in pots if needed, but I'd like to try one in the yard as well.

I've been growing Sweetcrisp in pots, but have had problems with set- they leaf out too early in the garage. I've tried bringing a couple indoors, and so far I haven't gotten any fruit-set. I remember that Fruitnut got some without pollination, so maybe the plants just need to be older.

• ravenh2001
    10 years ago

If you get enough call for a second liner I would like 4. Something in the name caught my eye. thank you.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

bob:

This year without pollination my Sweetcrisp aren't setting worth a lick. Star on the other hand seems to be full set but it's just a little early to be sure. I may have more observations later.

• ronniebilt
    10 years ago

I would take 10 Raven Blueberry. I am in Sacramento, California

This post was edited by d1od1a on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 8:52

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

d1od1a,

Do you mean raven?

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

If you are working on the 2nd liner I would like 4
    Thanks

• mayadawg
    10 years ago

Bamboo
    if there is still room to jump in 2-4 ravens would be nice..
    Also if you see a source for the chickadee let me know. interested in the high pollen as well as the taste profile they have.

• rayrose
    10 years ago

I'd like to try two of them, Thanks

Since both Raven and Sweetcrisp are characterized as Midseason, would they pollinate each other?

This post was edited by rayrose on Fri, May 24, 13 at 11:16

• Schlemoc
    10 years ago

I would like 2 of those to try in zone 5. Hopefully they do well. Many of the other varieties named are in my patch.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it. Should have more details in October.

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

Bamboo
    Could you put me down for 3 if they become available? Its very gracious of you to do this for us. The Raven may do ok in zone 6 but I would worry about the others here.

• yawiney
    10 years ago

If you get the 2nd liner i will also take 2. Thanks.

• yawiney
    10 years ago

If you get the 2nd liner i will also take 2. Thanks.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we are at 116 so two liner trays are taken care of at this point.

• wlh8723
    10 years ago

Bamboo_rabbit. If you get another liner ( or a cancel )I would like 2 or 3. Thanks

• rosieo
    10 years ago

If you get another liner, I'd like to get 10. Thanks.

• waiting_gw
    10 years ago

Put me in for 5 Raven if they should become available.

Thanks,

gary

• spdem2
    10 years ago

If you get another liner or have someone who cancels, I would love to get 3. Thank you!

• hopsalot
    10 years ago

I will take up to 12 plants, if possible. Thanks Bamboo!

• ronniebilt
    10 years ago

Any news on Raven blueberry plants if they are going to be available and at what price??

Thanks Bamboo for your effort

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

diod1a,

They said to call back in October and I called them last Tuesday and have yet to receive a return call. Don't read anything in to that they are horrible about returning calls and always have been. I will try them again this coming week.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have talked with him and he does not have liners he does not think.....they will probably be bigger field run (bareroot) plants. He does not have a ton of them either as it is the first year. Will add more details as I get them.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have talked back and forth with them as he was checking on the plants and received an email from Millers today and:

"We will not have any Raven available this year. We are currently expanding our inventory and they will be available next year. Sorry we could not supply your needs. Please feel free to call me. We may have other varieties that interest you"

It is a bit annoying as in the spring he assured me the plants would be available. Perhaps they are distributing none or perhaps larger orders trumped our less than 200 plant order, have no idea.

For the west coast folks Fall Creek now has a license on the Ravens as well though they don't sell retail and have a 500 plant minimum. I did inquire of them on when they would be available.

Sorry folks, I tried. I have had my 14 plant row tilled, irrigation in and ready for these things for well over a year now so to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 16:45

• insteng
    10 years ago

I appreciate you trying. I know you had tried hard to help everybody out.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Thanks,maybe later.It's not a huge deal to me.I have so many plants now,I'm probably going to have to give some away. Brady

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

No problem Bam, not all is lost, I'm willing to bet that bed will have some Sweetcrisp in it before Spring gets here??? I'm getting pressed for room too! I've gotten rid of a bunch of blues to make room for some figs I have showing up this fall anyway.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope that row is reserved for the Ravens and that is what is going in there. I heard from him again and he explained what had happened. He told me I am first on the list for the plants when they are ready. I can take rooted cuttings in June if I want them so just a delay......

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please see the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Raven

• inkfin
    9 years ago

Bamboo,
    Please add my name on your list for two if you received them in June as they promised and if you still have a couple of them for me. Thanks.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Wow - so hard to get! Bamboo you are so lovely.
    Did you ever get your plants?

Oh... I just saw the link above.