Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Santa Rosa Plum Fire Blight?

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 8:29

One of the Santa Rosa plums I planted this year has the shepherd's hook look of Fireblight on the end of several of the new branches.

Can plums have fire blight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Santa Rosa Plum Fire Blight?

They don't get fireblight but can get similar appearing symptoms from brown rot. At least this is what I've read. No first hand experience.

o

Usually that is just from growing so fast that the stem has not yet lignified enough. Its very common and will fix itself. Brown rot shoot blight is not so common, you can tell if you have that by slimy feel and rotting/dieback of leaves. You can get shoot flagging on peaches from OFM and occasionally on cherries but I have never seen that on my plums.

Scott

o

Thanks Guys for the replies. That makes me feel better. I had google it but it was unclear.

o

Randy Santa Rosa Plum in this area need pollinator to fruit well. I had one first fruiting year was great after that very few fruit set. Here a copy paste about Santa Rosa plums.

There is a minor issue in that there
are more than one form of Santa
Rosa. There is an Early Santa Rosa,
a Late Santa Rosa and there is a
Queen Rosa that has been sold as
a Santa Rosa in the past. There are
some subtle differences in how
well these other early and late
forms of Santa Rosa will pollinize
other Plums in comparison to the
old form Santa Rosa Plum.

o

Thanks Gator for the information. I did not know that about Santa Rosa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here