Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing mature trees

Posted by Creek-side 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 8:38

I have two very large fuji apple trees which my father planted in the mid 80s. He didn't prune them much at all, and by the time he died they were both reaching twenty or so feet high in the middle. I gave them major haircuts for a couple of years just to bring them under control, and then minor pruning after that to shape them up.

They are good producers, so I could easily get by with one. I am wondering when I should think about replacing one of them so that at some point I'm not faced with losing both at the same time. I have a lot of land, but I also have many other fruit trees,and I don't want to dedicate more space to fujis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing mature trees

Just learned of pollarding. Can this be done on mature apple trees?

o
RE: Replacing mature trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 12:39

With good care those Fuji trees could last the rest of your life. Especially if you keep both you will see signs of decline in time to plant another tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here