Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why didn't somebody warn me?

Posted by brianstreehouse z6 SouthIndiana (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 8:38

My apple orchard has become an addiction.

What I have in the ground:

Shiro Pum, Starking Delicious Plum

Doctor Matthews, Honeycrisp, Jon-a-Red, Cox's Orange Pippin, Grimes Golden, Red Rome Beauty, Everest Crab

I have been looking for a couple other varieties that I could not find in the fall. My wish list is now at 8 new varieties. I have to stop.

My wish list includes: Golden Russet, Gold Rush, Pink Lady, Newtown Pippin/Albemarle, Ashmead's Kernel, Bella Rezista, Karmijn de Sonnaville, and Belle de Boskoop.

If you had to lop off a couple from my wish list, what would you cut?

Please don't suggest varieties I have not listed. I will want to try them and my landscaping has already been adjusted to accommodate more varieties than I should have. (The ice storm did create a hole when it took out my magnolia.) The discussion on red fleshed apples almost got me. I should have bought acreage when I built my house.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why didn't somebody warn me?

Based on my experience I would cut Karmijn, it is heat sensitive. Cox has the same problem. I don't know about Rezista having not grown it but I have not heard raves on the taste those apples in the few comments I have seen.

Good luck keeping the numbers down. I'm glad my yard is only so big or I would still be adding rows.

Scott

o

I'm new to this but to my understanding Pink Lady is bad for fire blight. I don't know how it would do on fire blight resistant rootstocks like some of the Geneva series.

o

Being a new home orchardist myself, I understand your plight. I only saw a few worm-ridden peaches last year up to this point but it has so far made me only want to add more fruit.

I have limited knowledge on apples in general but one that seems to be the consensus *not* to cut from your list is the Gold Rush. I ordered and planted one this year as my only apple tree thus far. I plan to use a crabapple already planted for pollination purposes.

o

My condolences to all the new addicts. I have been addicted for about 7 years now. If you don't want to be addicted then you must stop yourself now. This forum is like an AA meeting where people describe the best and newest micro-brew:)

o

Bring on the brew and the trees! Mrs. G

o

you might like to try a Gloria Mundi Apple I have a couple growing strong tho not producing yet but the tree the scion came off of had apples as large as dinner plates on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here