Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiwi trellis

Posted by jethro75 Z 5 N Central PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:40

I built a T-trellis out of two 9', 7.5" diameter telephone poles sunk 3' into the ground and 15' apart with 4x4 cross arms that are 4.5' long. I have 12.5 gauge hi tensile wire. My question is how many wires (plants) could I run and how far apart minimum should they be?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiwi trellis

I have a similar trellis with 4X4 posts instead of telephone poles. I have 3 posts about 15 feet apart (total of 30 feet), three strands of wire. I have 3 artic kiwi plants and a grape vine on them. After pruning the kiwis are attached to the center strand and allowed to spread to the other two strands. They pretty much are full during the growing season. So my guess is that you can have two kiwi plants for 15 feet of trellis. I would plant them four feet from the poles allowing them to run in both directions.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:58

o

Thanks Charlie.

I was thinking about having 1 male on the center wire and a female on each outside wire. Planted center and traied to run 7' each way toward the post.

Would I be better off with just 3 stands and do like above? Or put another strand between the male and female and allow the feamles to cover 2 wires each. With 3 wires the wires would be 24" apart, with 5 wires they would be 12" apart.

o

Your spread is 4.5 feet so I don't believe that an extra wire would help much. But it certainly would not hurt. My kiwis tend to spread a couple of feet each way with side shoots. With the method you are using 6 feet cross pieces would have been better.

o

Yah, I would have liked to go at least 5' but had a 9' 4x4 in the shed so I just cut it in half and used that. I have enohg stuff to do it so I think I will just put the wires in and if I dont use them it wont matter much but at least they will be there if I would happen to need them and I wont have mess with putting them in latter. I gues I should have stated that I am planting Arctic Beautys if that makes any diiference.

Thanks again Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here