Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild59_gw

Haskap or Honeyberry?

flowerchild59
9 years ago

I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme weather, single digits during winters or worse, and heat and humidity during our long summers, often near 100 degrees. I am doing a lot of reading on the edible honeysuckles. Is anyone growing them in the Midwest? Which ones do better for you in the heat and humidity?
Which nursery do you favor?

Comments (38)

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Come on folks!!! I need some guidance!!!

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Child-if you're still around-do a web search-way more info than I have time to type out here. But really, there's just a lot of stuff to look at. You're a little to the south of the main haskap/honeyberry region, I think, but they are working all the time on breeding to allow this fruit to be grown further south. Then too, I'm nearly a complete beginner on this, having finally-after several years of delay-ordered my first few plants. I'm up near GB, WI, so not too awfully far away.

+oM

flowerchild59 thanked wisconsitom
  • liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Zone 6 is definitely a-okay for honeyberries, I've seen them everywhere and I live in Z6b. Just make sure they have morning/evening sun, and shade or indirect sun midday.

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, I am trying several different named varieties and will see how it goes.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

And where I will be working with them, full sun is called for. Oconto County in NE Wisconsin, to be exact.

+oM

• danzeb
    8 years ago

I have a few varieties growing in zone 7. It will be 1 or 2 years before I know how well they will produce here. Also there are many new varieties being released and some will do better than others in different zones. One observation is that in mid to late summer, with temperatures in the upper 80s to mid 90s they look like they are going to die but so far they do nicely when spring comes.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Yes, a form of powdery mildew takes over the foliage under those conditions, with some cultivars and at some times. But this is nearing season's end, and any foliage malady has lesser impact, its job being pretty much done at that point.

+oM

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    8 years ago

I have two Haskap,the Japanese variety,from Dr.Maxine Thompson.She said the Japanese version is better suited for the Pacific Northwestern US,maybe because of their early blooming.They are Aphid magnets in the Spring.
    The Russian varieties sound better right now,for the colder areas like yours,flowerchild.Honeyberry USA has a lot and many nurseries are carrying them now. Brady

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, breeding work is tending to combine genetics fro Japanese, ie. Hokaido Island varieties with Russian and other genetics. That's been my take on things anyway. But yes,understanding regional differences are likely a key to success with this plant.

+oM

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I plan to put out about 10 different cultivars just for fun, me and the grandkids, and see how they do. I have plenty of room. Blueberries did not do well here, my soil was not suitable no matter what I did to amend it.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Agreed, it's hard to make lasting changes in your basic soil. Whatever it is, that's always what it goes back to being when you're not looking!

That should be fun, ten varieties. My son is planting three from Proven Winners, all of which are synchronous bloomers. Thanks.

+oM

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Any deer or other critter issues with any of your stuff yet? We will probably fence once the actual planting gets prepped, but I doubt I'll go the full 8 feet usually described as needed to absolutely keep deer out. I've found in other contexts that often, it is enough to discourage deer. Then too, I don't think these honeysuckles are high on their browse list. It's more the idea that, at least where mine will be going, it's mostly a free-for-all scene during large stretches of time when we're not there, and these starter plants are expensive. So I'd like not to lose them right off the bat.

I get a kick out of how so many people are already sure this plant won't escape into the wild and become invasive. After all, other Asian and Eurasian honeysuckle species are among our worst invasive woody plants. And how would anybody know yet? Sure, some pioneer growers have been at it, let's say, 10 years now, but 10 years is nothing in terms of determining if a species is going to naturalize or not, let alone become a problem.

All that said, I'm not too worried about it. I keep a close eye on my woods and I'm pretty sure I'll see if anything like this does happen. Birds, especially robins and cedar waxwings (I think) are known lovers of honeyberry/haskap fruits. So 2 things present themselves: First, that bird netting is recommended by many experts at or near harvest time, and also, that this suggests birds could indeed distribute this species far and wide.

+oM

• murkwell
    8 years ago

Deer and rabbits ate my haskaps before I protected them better.

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have 3 aurora, and one each sugar mountain, and tundra coming from honeyberry usa next week. I also have indigo gem and borealis from them from last year, (Honeybee died over the winter). Those two bushes are only a foot high and they are blooming some this spring. I am trying to decide on what different honeyberries to get from another company. Anyone have any favorites?

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'm too new at this to have developed favorites. I'll for sure let you know when I know something! Right now, I'm pretty pumped about the 'Aurora' cultivar. That fruit-which is the whole reason, right?-just looks great. But the 'Indigo Gems' are supposed to be good too. Right now, I think I'm learning more from you and others than the other way around.

Hey, my plants are supposed to arrive today! Yippee!

+oM

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mine are arriving later in the week. I must say the Bernis from honeyberry USA has been wonderful to work with.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'll have to look into that vendor. Haskapcentral-out of Canada-are very good people too. But you do pay the phyosanitary, etc. when ordering there. Not a big deal this go-round: I'm only just dipping my toes in the water. But if I like working with this plant, may go bigger in years ahead. Then all that stuff will matter.

BTW, do you happen to know, do honeyberry usa folks ship bare-root? Thnx.

+oM

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can't remember from last year. I have an order coming later this week, or early next week and I will post.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Thanks. I was mistaken in thinking my plants were going to arrive earlier in the week, drat! Now, it looks like maybe tomorrow (Sat). Oh well, I'm all set. Since these are going to be starter plugs, and since I don't yet have my space up north prepped, I'm going to repot them into somewhat larger pots, and grow them on for the summer at home, my plan then being to plant up at their final location this fall. I just sent a question to HoneyberryUSA as to availability of bare-root stock. I'd really not mind being able to work in that format, and since these starter plants are not cheap, it wouldn't hurt to save a few bucks. At any rate, going to be getting going soon. Also have tree seedlings to plant this spring, up at same land, so sure wouldn't have minded these things getting here a little earlier. Oh well, such is springtime.

+oM

ps...Updated to add-plugs arrived Sat. One short, so out of 6 Indigo Gems and 3 Auroras, ended up with just 2 of the latter, which did not thrill me. Should say too that the packing method HaskapCentral uses for these small shipments is not up to the job. Package got rocked on the way to my home, box was half-shredded, water leaking out, plant plugs which had been wrapped together in cellophane had come undone so I ended up with loose plants rolling around in a box that was half torn open. HC did come clean with me in terms of crediting me for missing plant, but I really would have preferred to have gotten what I ordered. Oh, and with plants knocked loose in box, couldn't ID the varieties, although Curtis from HC did provide me with info making it possible to do so. I do lots of online purchases-everywhere from domestic up to and including items from China. This is-by far-the worst job of it I've yet seen. Sorry, that's just the truth.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Just bumping this up, for any haskap fanciers.

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My order should arrive this week from honeyberry usa.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'll be interested to hear how yours looks. Was really expecting just a bit of care in handling-I payed considerable $$ for just that-in my little order from the other guys.

BTW, I did go to H-USA and noted their prices aren't exactly low either. I suppose with the "specialty" status of this plant to date, these vendors can get away with that. I'll be looking for bare-root next year, if I'm in the hunt for more plants.

+oM

• northwoodswis4
    8 years ago

I ordered from Haskap Central a few years ago with a similar experience. Most were dead on arrival. They required photos to replace them. Just received an order from Honeyberry USA today. Was satisfied with their packing.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Thanks Northwoods. Curtis (H-Central) did also request I send them photos in a few weeks. Kinda funny-the plants I got are not dead, but the method of packing sucked horribly and no photo three weeks from now is going to show that! Mine, as I say, are at least alive, but when you pay that kind of money for itty-bitty plugs, spend yet more on "handling", then get what I got, something doesn't add up. I'll very likely not be returning to that vendor... Sorry HaskapCentral, it's one and done.

+oM

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I received my order from honeyberry usa, they were all secure, only had one that had a broken main branch, but has lots of buds so I am sure it will be ok. They were all shipped in pots ranging in size from several inches to around 4 inches. I had several changes to my order and they were receptive and had my order correct. I am pleased. I received sugar mountain blue, aurora and tundra honeyberries, tixia and jahns prairie gooseberry, and two saskatoons.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Nice. I was most disappointed in getting just two Auroras. If I get more plants next year, may go heavier on that one, although Indigo Gem, the other cultivar I got, is said to be right up there in fruit quality.

+oM

• garprob1
    8 years ago
    I got 4 plants form Honeyberry USA this spring- 2 Aurora and 2 Borealis. The Aurora plants were bare root and the Borealis were in pots. The Borealis were multi-stemmed and began leafing almost immediately and blossoming within 10 days of planting. The Auroras were single stemmed and began leafing within a week of planting and one is beginning to blossom now about 3 weeks after planting. All are growing well. I may order more form Honeyberry USA next year.
  • flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ugh, I found one of my aurora tags in the middle of the yard. I checked out the pot and the plant was missing. Of course my boxers decided to play tag with a 20.00 plant. I never did find it. Don't they look guilty.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Indeed-guilty as sin. I have decent growth appearing on 5 of 6 Indigo Gems, the remaining one appearing to be dead. So, out of 9 originally ordered plants, it appears I'll have a whopping 7 to work with. A rather inauspicious beginning to my honeyberry adventure. Nor are mine seeming to be as vigorous and just plain big as those received by you guys. Yes, I'm bummed, although I do expect better days ahead so far as all this goes. And really, we've only just now started to get any warmth.

+oM

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I try to plant by the almanac and finally had some good days and got all six planted or transplanted. I slightly elevated the mound and tilled in aged horse manure and compost that was about 5 years old. Even the two plants I transplanted didn't seem to notice. I originally wanted 10 total plants but will settle for my 6 for now. I want to see how they produce overall before I plant any others.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Well, perhaps I should explain, I'm a pro horticulturist with experience measured in decades, not years, lol! I know how to handle plants. I just don't like the twigs I spent good $$ for, especially being shorted one, another dead on arrival. I'm just venting. I've got right around two hundred other projects going right now involving living plants. This is my "fun" one.

I too want to get accustomed to a modest grouping before going bigger. I don't want my honeyberry patch to become another burden. Got enough of those, thank you!

+om

• redtartan
    8 years ago

I call them haskap. This will be our first year with them. We're in 5a, but really on the cusp of 4b and get some bad winters here at times. I watched a documentary, maybe 2 years ago about a farm out in the Praries (maybe Saskatchewan) where they had a bountiful crop of them that they sold. Their zones are brutal out there so if they can do well there, you should be fine.
    I'm not worried about mine becoming invasive. I have goats!

• redtartan
    8 years ago

Found this link in search of trying to find the name of the documentary I watched

http://www.fruit.usask.ca/haskap.html
    There are loads of articles on there from how to grow them to wines.

• flowerchild59
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am curious if they will handle our brutal Midwest heat and humidity. It is an experiment for sure, I hope I get to taste a few in the near future. I hated dealing with blueberries and trying to make my limestone soil acid enough for them. I can't grow anything that requires an acid soil, been there, done that, won't do it again.

• redtartan
    8 years ago

flowerchild59(z6b IL) I'm in the same boat as you, cold winters and hot humid summers. We also live on an old glacial deposit which makes our soil fairly alkaline. I was just outside and the variety I have is lonicera. Hope I spelled that correctly since I'm going by memory. It's hardy to zone 2. That's why I chose it since the last two winters here have been absolutely brutal, with loads of tree damage and loss.

• redtartan
    8 years ago

duh that's the latin name LOL it's Berry blue.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Yes, Haskap (or honeyberry-more on that distinction later) is Lonicera caerulia. The varieties or cultivars we receive from these vendors are mixtures of genetics from Hokaido Island (Japan's northernmost island), eastern Europe, Russia and the Kurile Islands (Sp.). Bob Bors, one of the leading breeders of this plant, is also now investigating N. American genetics from Canada. Some plants were found not too far from where mine will be grown, in that portion of Ontario just north of Lake Superior. That's exciting to me as my patch will be grown in Oconto county, WI. Not exactly right next door, but we're in the same region. That also quells some of my concern over this plant becoming an invasive pest in that if it's "almost" native to this area, that makes it OK somehow in my mind, lol. Keep in mind, some of our very worst invasive shrub species belong to the same genus.

So, why haskap versus honeyberry? What seems to be the case is, the Japanese, who are the largest consumers of this fruit, call them haskap, so any variety bearing fruit of sufficient quality for the Japanese market is dubbed haskap. But with the genetics being mixed around so much now with all the breeding work-I believe Mr. bors has something like 25,000 new accessions awaiting trial-we're going to see this distinction rendered meaningless, IMO.

I think you guys a little to the south will be fine. This is a tough plant, not a finicky thing at all. Sure, it's most noted for cold-tolerance, but I'll bet the heat of say, central IL-won't mean a thing. We shall see! Oh, and thanks for that link, littlemonkey.

+oM

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner