Comments (21)

• Tony
    10 years ago

Very nice!

Tony

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tonytran, thanks! This tree is very vigorous. I'm already Summer pruning the top branches.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I have two Wonderful pomegranate plants. They never bloomed in their containers. They were started from cuttings. They were planted in ground last summer when we moved to this house. Still no blooms, but I just noticed many blooms starting on both! YAY!

Yours look amazing!

Suzi

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

When does the fruit ripen for you? I grow Wonderful in pots put in garage over winter. They don't flower until June, and the fruit ripens in October. I've always been amazed that it does not seem to ripen any earlier in warmer climates, even though it apparently flowers so much earlier!?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Gorgeous flowers.....too bad the taste of Wonderful is mediocre at best.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fabaceae_native, 'Wonderful' starts ripening for me in October. 'Angel Red' can have some ready in September.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

bamboo:
    I'm not sure I've ever tasted anything but 'Wonderful' since it is the industry standard, right? Are other varieties really so much better (other than having softer seeds)? It still rates pretty well in all the stuff I've read.

Only real drawback to the variety that I can see is the late ripening...

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

I have a pomegranate that is clearly labeled as Wonderful. It has white flowers.

Any ideas?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Fabacae,

Wonderful is a bit like a red delicious apple.....the breeders picked it because it grows well, is large and pretty,same reason why we have the tasteless red delicious apples. Mind you I said a BIT LIKE as Wonderful unlike Red delicious is still a fairly good pom.

In taste tests Wonderful is always middle to lower third of the pack when it comes to taste. Salavatski, Desertnyi and Asperonski are three that outshine Wonderful among MANY others.....but the fruit is not as pretty or as large. I am in no way an expert.....I grow 26 types of poms and have tasted 15 or so varieties I guess at this point.

Another one I really like is Vietnam.....which comes from India, confusing isn't it? It is an actual evergreen pom that is yellow on the outside and the most wonderful juice. Of the rest of my varieties I have 1 of each.on the Vietnam I have 4 which shows how much I like it.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JoppaRich, I would have to say that you don't have a 'Wonderful' pom. :)

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Very nice looking pom.... how old is it? How many of those flowers will become fruit?

I have 4 Poms but they are young and most flowers drop and just a few fruit. This is their 3rd growing season coming so I hope more will set....

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

They bloom reliably up here in Portland in June-July, very attractive parking strip shrub.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

melikeeatplants, thanks! I stopped keeping track of the age of many of my trees a few years ago. The first few years were focused on pruning and shaping. This will be the first year that I plan to thin the fruit, as I just don't need that many poms for my wife and I. Here is the tree after heavy Winter pruning this year:

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

larry_gene, Wonderful is an excellent piece of fruit down here. Beautiful blooms, foliage and reliable bearer. Not a demanding tree at all, except that I keep it heavily pruned to retain the size and shape that I want.

• kingwood
    10 years ago

I grow garnet sash, angel red, parfianka, and wonderful. Have grown more but pulled them do to problems with rot in this humidity. For my tastes, wonderful at its best is hard to beat.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Wonderful' is setting fruit nicely right now, and still blooming:

• sheeba123
    9 years ago

what kind of pomegranate can grow in FL zone 10, I had one for couple years only it didn't grow well.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

Also curious to this as I live in a similar climate?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

I got cuttings from UC Davis 5 years ago. I got plants. They grew. No fruit. But this year they are loaded! Waay more fruit than I can handle, and I would make wine, but something in that fruit is anti-wine.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago
    wow gives years to fruit! I have some cuttings from a seedling tree my grandma got that I'm tryinh to baby and get to root, I hope it doesn't take that long to fruit for me as the tree I got the cuttings from is flowering
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz