Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange blueberry shoots

Posted by sportyredsaab 4a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 9:09

Hi there,

I inherited some highbush blueberry bushes that came with the house we bought 3 year ago. The past two early springs I have pruned the bushes and am just about to get out there and prune for this season. Last year there were some abnormal shoots on one or two bushes that I pruned off. I had a really good season last summer with more blueberries than I knew what to do with! This year there are even more abnormal shoots. The bushes are located in partial shade under an evergreen. Any ideas why they are happening? Should I continue to remove these strange shoots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange blueberry shoots

Another bush

o

It could be the start of witches broom....it is a rust / fungus. Do those misshapen shoots fruit or have normal leaves?

o

Yup your second picture confirms it.

o

I pruned them all off last year so they never had a chance to produce leaves/fruit. I am pretty new to gardening. What do I need to do about this?

o

Just did a Google search on witches broom, and sure enough, the fir tree nearby has the same sort of growth in it. I feel sad that I have infected trees.

o

Sadly there are no treatments for it that I am aware of....not saying there isn't, just that I don't know of any, sorry.

o

I have never heard about this before. Very interesting. I did a search too and was surprised by this:

In the case of blueberry bushes, witches’ broom is caused by a fungus that lives on balsam fir trees. This broom fungus always needs a blueberry and a fir as hosts and is very specific; a blueberry with the fungus can’t infect another blueberry. Most brooms caused by rust fungus need two host plants. The fungus that causes witches’ broom on balsam fir needs common chickweed as a secondary host, and the fungus that infects spruce needs the lowly bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).

Here is a link that might be useful: Witches’ Broom: It’s Not What You Think

o

Cut the fir tree down?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here