Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hand pollinating ????

Posted by john222-gg Mississippi 8b/9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 9:12

I have a lot of new trees and don't seem to have many bees.I would like to hand pollinate but there are a lot of questions.How soon after the flower opens should you start.Should you start in the morning while it is still damp or wait till evening when it is dry.The pollen when the flower first opens is pale yellow later it turns golden?Should you collect pollen from flowers that have been open for a while.The pollen should be put on new flowers or older flowers.You can tell I don't know what I am trying to do All help will be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hand pollinating ????

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 9:51

John:

What fruits are you concerned about? Peach and nectarine are wind pollinated so skip them. For plums, pluot, and apricot I get a small artist brush. Collect pollen from flowers a day or two after they open before all the anthers wither, change usually from yellow to brown. Move this pollen to newly opened flowers on another plant. After a while you will know which flowers have spent their pollen. They are probably most receptive before or at the time of pollen shed.

I go in a circle around the trees to be pollinated spending a couple minutes at each tree. After two or three circuits I'm done for the day. Morning soon after sunrise seems best but as long as you are picking up pollen you should be doing some good.

o
RE: hand pollinating ????

thanks for the info I am doing plums , pears and apples or should I say trying.Thanks for the help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here