Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry patch dying out

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 9:14

My parents used to have a nice patch of red raspberries but in the last two years they have really gone downhill. They are putting up sparse sprouts this spring and I've been digging out dead crowns in many spots. Any ideas what could cause this? I don't know what variety they are although I know they are fall bearing. I think they were originally just passed along from someone else. Perhaps they should start over in a new location with a newer cultivated strain. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry patch dying out

Raspberry beds don't last forever.......periodically you have to move to a new spot, just the way it is.

o

Thanks, bamboo rabbit, I didn't realize that. I'll explain this to my parents and we'll work on establishing a new patch in a different location.

o

Could be viral also...

o

Could be a disease, or could just be "too damn old". If the patch is 20 years old, some would argue 10 years old, then it needs rejuvenating. If you suspect disease might be an issue then maybe skip raspberries for several years to let the disease starve itself out. If wanting to rejuvenate right away, then at least choose a different spot in the yard.

o

If you do move the patch, I wouldn't recommend using the old plants to start the new patch. buy some certified virus free plants for a clean start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here