Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple viruses

Posted by cckw 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 9:19

I helped a friend with pruning in his small orchard. I alcohol wiped my stuff before and after. But wondering how common viruses are.

One thought on that. He had grafted on to one of his trees a couple varieties from a very old orchard that was going to be destroyed. Is that a bigger chance of virus exposure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple viruses

IMO it would depend on the varieties of apples....

Many of the apples we eat are inbred (see konrads link on apple inbreeding). We all know the downside to doing so....

o

Old orchards don't necessarily have more viruses. If the orchard consisted of trees all bought from one conscientious nursery at one time then the odds are low. But, if the trees had a lot of grafts put on them and were bought from many nurseries over the years the odds are higher.

Scott

o

I manage lots of old apple trees and don't give viruses a thought. They have yet to become an observable issue although I don't sterilize my pruning tools. I've never read of it being recommended, but it is an interesting question.

For me there are so many other things that you do have to worry about- I will wait to see (or at least hear of) local virus issues before I worry about them as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here