Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neptunes Harvest and pests / raccoons

Posted by tucker46060 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 9:19

All-

I fertilized some berry plants with a Neptune's Harvest mix ... came out the next day to find all kinds of digging and damage around the base of the plants, including destruction of some small developing canes.

Anyone else have problems with (what I assume were) raccoons after using fish emulsion? Any tricks to avoid this?

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neptunes Harvest and pests / raccoons

Yes! My trick is not to use fish emulsion.

o

Well you have several options.
1 dont use fish emulsion
2 live trap & relocate pest-you may want to apply a permanent mark livestock spray paint works well this will help determine that you are indeed relocating far enough away.
3 double strand electric fencing make sure it is properly grounded and check voltage regularly.
4 Ad on craigslist for coon hunters
:-)
Good luck

o

Wish I'd seen this message a few days ago. Just took four vacation days to plant a large container garden, finishing up at 5 last night. For the first time ever I followed advice I've seen many times and watered everything in with a few cups of diluted Neptunes Harvest seaweed and fish emulsion. This morning, I woke up to find several pepper plants torn out of their pots and my only two okra plants destroyed. They hate root disturbance, but can be carefully transplanted. Mine were a foot tall and a month old. Raccoons completely bare-rooted them and tore off several leaves. I think they may not make it. I have now sprinkled my entire garden with cayenne (red prepper). It stopped something that was bothering my strawberry patch last year.

o

A little follow up, based on advice I received.
This is one case where the raccoons' intelligence is good. They realize that despite the smell there is nothing there and quit coming back. I've continued fertilization with no further issues at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here