Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone 10 containers - kiwi and passion fruit?

Posted by johns.coastal.patio USDA 9b, Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 9:21

My friend has a green thumb, by which I mean she breaks things I consider "rules" and gets good results anyway. This might be one of those situations.

Her new plan involves a container kiwi to grow along the back fence, and a container passion fruit to trellis along the patio.

From my reading the kiwi plan looks pretty risky. Hardy kiwi might live in a large pot, but needs it a bit colder?

I think the passion fruit is a better bet, but I have no idea what variety to recommend?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone 10 containers - kiwi and passion fruit?

"Black Knight" is a smaller passiflora edulis, bred for container culture. I have one planted in the ground and it is manageable there so I suspect it would be fine.

Some of the hardy kiwis seem to need little chill despite their name, so I would not discount them, but the container probably needs to be pretty big (18 gal would be a minimum and that's probably small). "Issai" is less vigorous and supposedly bears fruit without a male although many people say it's much better with one.

Another possibility is a pair of arctic kiwis, but they favor some shade.

With the kiwis, the roots need to be kept cool so the containers would need to be sheltered from the sun somehow. Not sure about the passion fruit in that regard.

o
RE: zone 10 containers - kiwi and passion fruit?

Thanks for the reply. It turns out she grabbed a passion fruit at a local nursery yesterday. Ah well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here