Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfj52

Klondike Strawberries

cfj52
11 years ago

I am searching for a source of Klondike Strawberry Plants. Years ago, this was the main berry grown in Ponchatoula. The old timers still talk about the wonderful flavor.

Comments (10)

• kikithefuzzy
    8 years ago

I know this is a two year old post, but in case anyone is still out there searching for those elusive Klondikes, or any of the other historical Louisiana varieties: headliner, tangi, daybreak (dabreak?), you might try either http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/orders.html, or if you're local and want the low down that Hammond, LA research station.

• Bln12
    7 years ago

I'm local and looking for Klondikes and #88 (not sure what they are) Those are the two berries my grandfather used on his strawberry farm in Ponchatoula- where and how can I get the traditional berries?? I would greatly appreciate any help. Also, if you know a local farm which might be willing (for payment of course) to help me start a small production of the traditional berries I would love to be connected with them. I have more desire for my childhood berries than skill to produce them.

• Brad Edwards
    7 years ago

I just wanted to give you a heads up on the klondike. The national germ at ars varity isn't the same one that was in the south back in the day. That or it has been grown in Oregon so long it has adapted to the pacific northwest. We are growing that klondike variety in three places in Lousisana and Alabama and it isn't the same Klondike as of old.

• Brad Edwards
    7 years ago

I also wanted to point out that after a little digging it appears we are growing the same as the old it just adapted to the Pacific North west. This will be year three in a couple of locations along the gulf coast for us with it and I am wondering if it will revert back to the original. We are getting the same attributes as far as runners, hardiness, and quality in plant but not the same production in the berries. I also know they have them at the LSU ag center but believe their runners are limited "wouldn't mind having some of those as well".

• Bln12
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Brad, I am trying a small scale production of Klondyke, daybreaks, headliners and tangi berries as well. We just started this year! How can we connect? Our Tangi and Klondykes are doing the best

• Bln12
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Brad also all my plants were shipped from and therefore assumed grown in Homestead, FL.

• ortegojeffrey
    6 years ago

Hey y'all, glad someone found those varieties. I've been wanting to grow them as well. Any info on where y'all got these and how to get more? I'd love to grow these as well. I'm in Lafayette, I may call dr Owings to see if they have some in Hammond, will update here if he tells me somethin good.

• ortegojeffrey
    6 years ago

Hey Bln12, would you mind letting me know where you found those strawberry plants, I'd really like to try these varieties. Somewhere in homestead, fl? I'm in Lafayette, la.

• jrathcke
    5 years ago
    Does anyone on here have a Tangi strawberry that I get get a start from?