Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is is possible to delay a berry harvest?

Posted by camp10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 9:26

I'm going to be away the last two weeks of June, which could be the time of heaviest strawberry harvest.

Is there any way to influence the production of berries? Maybe pinch off the first blossoms? Or remove the first berries?

Even if I could cause the heavy bearing season to be a week later it would help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is is possible to delay a berry harvest?

Delay? Not thinking so...only thing i could think of was to speed it up with low tunnels, forcing fruit to mature sooner...

o

I don't have experience with this but I would think you could pull a lot of the first blossoms to delay things a bit. No? Somebody out there's got the experience to know.

o

With June bearing you only get so many flowers, and it's done. So you could pull off flowers, but you may get a smaller harvest. With Everbearing or day neutral, harvest will continue till the end of summer. Since you will not be there, no matter what you have, you should probably pull off. You could also ask your neighbor to harvest berries and keep them for themselves. I had a ball eating my neighbors cherry tomatoes when she asked me to harvest them while she was gone! I also had to water them, and that might be something you need done too?

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:15

o

From my experience Strawberry is like tomatoes when they decide to ripen and get red they all do it at once. I urge them please don't all of you get red at once but they never listen. I think the temperature will affect the ripening too.

o

Thanks for the replies.

We are having a late spring, so I'm hoping that I will be home for the second half of the harvest.

I'll probably let the neighbors pick until I get back.

o

Aint it a bummer, last year during peach harvest time we were unavailable to harvest most of the crop so I instructed a few neighbors how to tell what what was ripe enough to pick and they got a lot of fruit. We got a little fruit. I'm just glad no fruit went to waste, there was a lot of it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here