Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Macadamia in SoCal

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 9:36

I know there are people growing macadamias in SoCal, I'm wondering if there are specific varieties that do better?

I'm flying through honolulu in a few days, can I just pick up some seeds there? They have seeds & seedlings approved for export right in the terminal.

I get the occasional frost where I am, so cold hardiness is my biggest concern.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Macadamia in SoCal

We are in zone 9 also, but Sunset Breaks it down as zone 19. We have a Beaumont variety.

I would think the ones sold at the airport in Hawaii would be a really tropical variety.

Enjoy your trip!

Suzi

o

You're much better off purchasing a tree here, yukkuri. One that is grafted to a more hardy rootstock. What grows well in Hawaii may not grow as well here in California with our more extreme temperature variations. What is your Sunset zone and where are you in S. Calif (USDA zones for us are pretty worthless, add your Sunset zone to your Zone field, see mine above). Macadamia trees do best in our "avocado belt" area, but can grow well further inland as long as temps don't drop below 26 degrees. If you are more inland, M. tetraphylla varieites (Rough Shelled Macadamia) will do better for you than M. integrifolia varieties (which are better suited for coastal regions). If you go to the link I've provided, the second article down is a presentation on Macadamia trees that was conducted by one of our CRFG chapter members just recently. He also happens to be the president of the California Macadamia Nut Society, very knowledgeable fellow. I would suggest contacting your CRFG chapter to see where you can purchase a Macadamia Nut tree and get the best variety for your area. They get VERY large, so just a warning, 30' or more, but they're very long lived. If you're in San Diego county, you're in luck, as several nurseries do sell them. I know Clausen's Nursery in Vista sells them, and I believe they sell the M. tetraphylla (you can ID this variety as it is the Macadamia that has the spiny leaves). Planted as a tree, it will take 5 to 7 years to produce. Here is another link providing specific information about Macadamia trees:
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/macadamia.html

Lastly, I would also post over on the Tropical Fruits Forum, which is probably a better forum to talk about Macadamias. Lots of Macadamia growers and enthusiasts over on that forum living in Hawaii, Florida and California :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: North San Diego County Chapter CRFG Archives

o

Thanks for that link Patty! I stumbled across my tree on Ebay. It was an air layer in a 5 gallon pot from a Beaumont variety, and we picked it up in Orange County.

It's got it's first bloom now and is in ground in a place where it can grow 80 feet with no problems!

While looking for properties, many homes in the Hemet area had Macadamias, so I think they do fine in this zone.

I sure like the link you posted, and I saved the info on my computer.

Suzi

o

Beaumont is an excellent variety for us in S. Calif., especially if you're further inland. Enjoy your Macadamia Suzi, it should do very well for you!

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the informative reposes! Thought I added the sunset zone, but apparently not. I am zone 19, I believe, so no problem.

Flying from Tokyo, back to L.A. tomorrow. Can't wait to get back to my little socal forest garden! So much must have happened while I was gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here