Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry rednecked cane borer control / leaf spot

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:37

I have a fair sized population of these now and they set back some of my canes badly. I have not done anything to control them but plan on starting up this year. I would like to hear what other folks have done. This spring I pruned out any canes where I saw damage on, to hopefully limit the number of adults that emerge. I am not planning on using an insecticide yet but if it gets worse I may go there.

By the way while I am posting on blackberry problems I have also had problems with leaf spot. I am pretty sure it is septoria leaf spot. It is also something I have done nothing with until this year, but I hit them with lime-sulphur a few weeks ago since sulphur is supposed to be a reasonable control.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry rednecked cane borer control / leaf spot

I had septoria leaf spot on my bosyenberries pretty bad in late summer and just a little bit on one of the marionberries. I think my watering practices contributed to the problem but have read that boysen and other trailing varieties are more susceptible than other blackberry / hybrid varieties. I sprayed them with a copper solution before they leafed out and plan to use drip irrigation this year.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:14

Scott,

I've tried sanitation (cutting out galled canes) but I never noticed it helped any. Perhaps there are just too many wild blackberries here which provide alternate host sites.

I'm more or less living with it. They don't seem to gall all the canes here.

o

I wonder if copper or lime/sulphur is better for septoria leaf spot. In looking for controlled studies I could not find anything. Since I already did a sulphur I will also do a copper in a few weeks. One site recommended 3 copper sprays in the spring.

I don't have many wild blackberries around so I will try removing the galls for a bit and see how it works.

Scott

o

In my berry patch septoria mainly takes hold on the over-wintered leaves and new growth is nearly unblemished through the fruiting season.

o

Larry, my bigger septoria problems could be due to greater stress on the plants. They don't like my heat very much. I noticed that the growth completely stalled in the hottest part of the summer, they didn't budge.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here