Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach trees without the bees

Posted by sara_in_philly 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 9:42

My peach trees has been in full bloom for days now, but I hardly see any bees, almost none. Besides the peach trees, I also have two flowering cherry trees nearby in full bloom, no bees on them neither.

I remember in the past, whenever there are flowers there will be tons of bumble bees buzzing around.

Can the peach trees bear fruits without bees pollinating them? Can human help somehow?

Anyone in my neck of the wood has the same problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach trees without the bees

Yes, Peach trees are usually pollinated by the wind. Brady

o

Thank you Bradybb! I feel so much better now.

o

There are bees out there. You may have been looking when it was too windy or too late or whatever. I have several years thought the bees didn't make it through winter, but then a few days later I am out and its swarming bees.

Check out the picture of this odd bee I saw a few days ago, it looks like a hummingbird with a long beak thing.

Scott

o

Lots of other insects pollinate plants, and you don't always see them doing it.

Scott, I think that is actually a moth. I believe they are called by different names, but I always called them a "Bumblebee Moth".

o

Honeybees won't come out in cool or windy weather. Look for other insects, too.

o

I think that's a Hummingbird Moth. Brady

o

Yup not a bee a moth. I'd seen similar bugs before but this one had very bee-like abdomen markings so I thought bee. I'm happy to have it, it was doing a great job pollinating my plum.

Scott

o

Bee fly, family Bombyliidae

o

Now that I look at other pictures,it does look like a Bee fly,Bombylius major.Thanks beetle_doc. Brady

o

Its a bee .. its a moth .. its Superfly!!

Thats definitely it, looks identical. Apparently they parasitize bee nests and so are genetically engineered to fool bees into thinking they are bees so they can get close. Sure fooled me.

On the general topic of odd pollinators I find a huge array of odd flying bugs doing pollination duty in my orchard. Every year I find some new kind of bug, this guy was my find for this year.

Scott

o

Gosh, look at that long beaky thing! I googled bee fly, it's a kind of fly and that long thing is a tongue?! Learn something new everyday!

I saw a few bees flying yesterday afternoon, but it's raining today:-(

I hope whatever is out there, bees,flies, moth or wind, will be enough to pollinate my peach trees!

Thank you all for all the answers!

o

I bet other bugs and critters leave it alone because it looks like a bee!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here