Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sulfur after oil

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:43

I know the standard is to wait 10-14 days after oil before applying sulfur
But I have always assumed that was if spraying oil when significant green is on the trees.

Does this time delay still hold true when the oil goes on just at bud break/1/2" green?

My situation presently is I sprayed fish oil at 2tbs/gal 3 days ago, everything at break to 1/2". Now the weather is calling for some 70-80 degrees with possible thunderstorms. With all the previous warmth I am worried about scab starting early, and wishing I had skipped oil so I could lay down initial sulfur.

How long do I really need to wait?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sulfur after oil

I have seen it listed at 21 days as well but I have never seen the reason. Give you county Extension agent a call.

o
RE: Sulfur after oil

All you need to avoid is getting sulphur and oil on the same leaf surface. I use mineral oil and it evaporates completely in 24-48 hours so I can spray sulphur not long after. The harder one is oil after sulphur, the sulphur can stick around a long time. That is where the 1-3 week recommendations come from. I don't know how long fish oil stays on since I don't use it. But I think you will be fine anyway since you sprayed at 1/2" green only. What I do for oil after sulphur is I look for the presence of sulphur, if its still there you see or smell it. One big rain will wash off all the sulphur and you can use oil soon after.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here