Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my ripe dewberries are sour

Posted by joeworm n fl 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:44

anyone have any idea why this might be happening? something missing in the soil?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my ripe dewberries are sour

Perfect for jam! Are you sure they are ripe? Maybe dewberries just taste sour to you? Man nothing is even breaking dormancy here, and you have ripe berries?

o

How many (fruiting) years have you grown them? Berries just turning black does not mean ripe.

o

this is the first fruiting year. i'll let 'em ripen more and see how that works out. they sure looked ready to pick.
thanks

o

I heard that once the fruit looks no longer shiny, it is ready. I'm new to blackberries. I will be planting them this year, as soon as spring arrives! Well as soon as the nurseries send them. Good luck, yeah it probably isn't ripe yet, and it could be that the 1st year, the plant is new and all. So even if they were ripe, I would give it another year. It seems hot weather produces sweet fruit, and it has been a cool spring. I also noticed from comments of others that in general no matter what fruit, early varieties are a challenge as far as taste, and that mid-season maturing varieties seem to taste best. But this is not always true. Chester is late maturing and others do taste better. But the plant has it's own merits, hardy, heavy producer, disease resistance. So appears to be a worthy plant all the same.

o

Keep a close eye on those dewberries, and when you can spot a couple of berries fallen on the ground, many of the softer black berries will be ripe. Or shake the vine; ripest berries will fall off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here