Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Loganberries in the NorthEast?

Posted by czimm 6b NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 9:45

Has anyone tried to grow loganberries in the NorthEast? I am in Upstate New York. They are supposed to be ok for my zone, but I can't find any info on successfully (or unsuccessfully!) growing them outside of OR and WA. Any advice would be appreciated before I make (another) gardening mistake!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Loganberries in the NorthEast?

Hm...we just bought one from Turnbull down in Collins (?) NY. I imagine they must work out ok, or they wouldn't sell them (hopefully anyway, lol).

o

They are not hardy. I tried for about five years and quit. If you search this forum there are threads on hardy trailing blackberries; Boysenberry seems to be the best choice for colder places like yours.

They still can be grown if you take the canes down and cover them with a thick cover for the winter. I did that for a few years but then got tired of all the work.

The fact that a local nursery sells something doesn't mean much, local nurseries tend to know almost nothing about fruit.

Scott

o

I'm going to try and grow them here too, last night it got down to 28 degrees and the plant is actively growing, no damage on leaves, although some of my tropical plants got hit bad. Anyway an encouraging sign. If they can take the winter, we will see, but the plant seems pretty hardy to me so far. I know that 28 degrees is not extremely cold, but when active leaves shows no damage that tells you a lot about it's ability to withstand cold. Fruitnut's plants didn't fair well in these temps.

o

Drew, the hardiness of leaves is not closely tied to dormant hardiness. If you don't cover them this winter and you get zone 6 lows, they are very likely to die - even 10F is cold for them and you are 20 degrees below that by zone.

The original thorny Logan is probably more hardy but it seems to have disappeared.

Scott

o

I found a supplier in the U.K.

Here is a link that might be useful: LY59 Thorny Loganberry

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 22:55

o

Anybody grow Lochness in Z6?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here