Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bud 9 root stock stake

Posted by WLH8723 Ga. west center (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 9:55

I have just grafted a couple of Apples onto Bud 9 root stock. I understand they will need permanent stakes. Some say a 10 foot metal stake is best but some say an 8 foot stake will do. Which is correct? why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bud 9 root stock stake

I think a 4-foot stake is just fine. I've got 4-footers for my young trees and I don't even use them, honestly. I think once the trees begin bearing heavily I will tie up the trunks. But I certainly fail to see how an 8 or 10-foot stake is necessary to hold up a 7-8 foot tall tree. 4-6 foot stake should be plenty fine.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 11:57

I've seldom needed stakes more than 5ft above ground. This for trees reaching 8-9ft on M9. But it depends on your training system and desired height. Is it just for support or also as a training aid?

o

Soil also has a big effect on how much staking you need. I have lots of M9/B9 and some parts of my orchard are heavily staked and other parts I never needed a stake. My lazy approach is I stake a tree when it first starts to lean, but not before then. I use 6' stakes. More than the size of the upper is getting the lower hammered in deep enough; you only need about 4' of upper to tie up the tree, any more is not going to make it more stable since the soil movement is the weak link in the chain.

Scott

o

I have two trees on B9: Empire and William's Pride. Each is staked with a 6.5' T-post, so that there is 5' of post above ground. They are in heavy soil, planted 8 years ago. I think they are benefiting from the posts, keeping them more upright than they would be otherwise. I don't think they would need anything taller. I wonder if variety would be a factor--vigorous or not--as well as the soil type that Scott mentions.

Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here