Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dethride

Ferbam

dethride
15 years ago

Cedar Apple rust was in my orchard last year and I've been reading up on it again. I found Ferbam (Carbamate WDG 76%) at a local Ace Hardware that has a LOT of farm, orchard, and garden stuff I need. Picked up another bag o' Kocide 2000, some grafting wax, an Arkansas Black, and a Seckel pear to replace the one the stupid Effingdam deer ate, and kelp meal too.

Can you guys give me some per gallon mixture rates? I have plenty of protection - goggles, mask, long-sleeves - and now is the time to get in a spray. Can Strep, Permethrin, or any other chems be added at the same time? I'm using sticker, too. Any tips will be appreciated!

It should last a while - I scored ten pounds of the stuff! My email address is tbd7@tds.net. (!)

Herbert

Mineral Bluff

Comments (6)

• greenwitch
    15 years ago

If I were you I'd read carefully the instructions that came with it and look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the internet - it will tell you what hazard level it is, flammability, protection required, and what to do if you are exposed (eyes, skin, ingestion, etc.) If you can't find the instructions, contact the manufacturer, they probably have a website and customer service dept. Be prepared.

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Herbert:

I have been using Ferbam for the past 3 years for cedar apple rust. I use it for CAR only, nothing else, and do two sprays, one at petal fall and another a week to 10 days later. I combine it with streptomycin for fireblight control, and a small amount of imidan or permethrin to control early insects before I thin and bag.

Ferbam has been taken off the ordinary consumer market, but it is still sold by chemical supply houses that service the commercial grower market, and that's where I got it. After reading the insert, which is targeted to the large amounts used by commercial growers, I came up with a best estimate of one tablespoon (1/3 oz.) per gallon of water, and that is the dilution I have used ever since. Ferbam is a black substance, looking just like finely ground coal, and, oddly enough, it was once used in the tire industry. I don't know of any other fungicide I could use effectively against CAR, except for other controlled materials I do not have access to.

Ferbam has completely eliminated my CAR problems, which were once severe. The disease affected not only the leaves, but caused greasy yellow material to form around the calyx end, distorting the growth of the apples and rendering them useless. There are red cedars (juniperis virginiana) all around the neighborhood, and no way to escape them. Weather conditions play an important role in the spread of CAR, with windy rains and cool conditions favorable to its spread.

I did substantial searching around the internet to try to learn more about this fungicide, and found the usual "suspected" this or that language. The same can be said of many other commonly used pesticides, and lots of other things as well. I am convinced I can use it safely, and am certainly using it minimally. I doubt that the manufacturer of this fungicide would respond to a consumer inquiry, but you never know.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• dethride
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I have done some research and the only "per gallon" reference I could find was 1.5 tablespoons - for african violets! I read all the posts I could on GW and have already chosen the amount you suggested, Don. There was no leaflet with the box, just guidlines on back. And the protective measures I took were good. I'm a little leary about chemicals after poisoning myself spraying lacquer on some furniture I built despite having an excellent painting respirator. It was quite unpleasant. I did have to strain it thru a fine mesh screen because it would constantly clog my Solo's little filter at the tip. I also added Strep amd Permethrin for my first spray. CAR was getting worse as each year passed so this is timely.

Herbert

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Herbert:

Instead of filtering the material, I pre-mix Ferbam in a little 16-oz. glass or plastic kitchen pitcher before adding it to my sprayer. I start with a paste, try to crush up all the granules with a spoon, then keep adding water until it is full.

When poured into your sprayer, stop when you reach the undissolved granules at the bottom, and throw them out. Ferbam is a bit of a sprayer nozzle clogger.

Should be good timing for spraying the Ferbam. I will be spraying today, which should reach 82F, as soon as the winds are calm. All my apple blossoms have dropped petals except for the late blooms on the branch tips that will not set decent fruit anyway.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• dethride
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Don, I was planning another spray today but the wind is howling! Maybe tomorrow morning. Good to know about the tip blooms, too. You, sir, should really write a book.

Herbert

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

I'm been doing quite a bit of reviewing of old posts and other info on the internet getting ready for my first Ferbam spray tomorrow. Anyway, this thread has the much needed rate information (the only place I could find it), and also the great info about making a paste first, then a 16 oz solution, then pouring, but leaving out the crystals. I'm not sure if this is proper forum etiquette, but it was close to falling off the bottom GW queue and I wanted to make sure it wasn't lost forever! Agreed. Jellyman needs to write a book! Thanks again for the info! -Glenn