Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tissue-culture blackberries

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:02

Looking around at some of the good berry nurseries, many seem to sell blackberries (& others) in 6-packs of tissue cultured plants. These seem to be about the same size as you'd get tomato plants in from a local garden center.

Last time I ordered brambles mail-order they were nice, stock bareroot plants - usually a single cane, about 3/8" thick with a decent root system, that the first year would send up a few smallish but usable primocanes for a small second-year crop, then that second year, shoot up "normal" primocanes for full crops thereafter.

Looking at these TC plants I've seen, they're TINY. As in, the size of strawberry plants. I can't imagine those tiny things producing any decent primocanes the first season...

To anyone who has planted both bareroot and TC plants in the 6-packs, does one outgrow the other or produce more/faster?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tissue-culture blackberries

TC plants grow real fast first year they catch up with any bare root plants that you plant.
There no disease in TC plant that what gives them good start. I think in pass maybe 10 years ago there only two places in country to get plants state Washington and Florida You send money and number want they grow plants for you I'm positive they have number that have to order I don't remember but high like 5,000 or 10,000.

o

Duarte is a wholesaler that does TC, they sell to big box stores and local nurseries here in CA. Their TC berries are more vigorous than ones I've gotten mail ordered for ones of the same varieties. The mail order ones I got were potted though not bare root...

o

Several places sell the tissue culture plants nowadays. You can buy them in incriments of 6 or 9 are the most popular. Sakumabros.com and berriesunlimited sell the tissue culture as well as starkbros if i remember right. My TC plants took off pretty dang well. The certified virus free was the catch for me as i got a few from the local nursery that were definitely not virus free.

o

So they produce good primocanes the first year in the ground? They just look so seedling-like, like they don't have the "heft" to make decent primocanes.

o

I planted both tissue culture and bareroot triple crown blackberry plants last year (3 each). The bareroot plants were double the size of the tissue culture plants at the end of the season. Same feed schedule and planted at the same time, side-by-side. I'm not saying this is always the case but I have a hard time believing that you are going to get the same growth from a tissue culture than your would with a 1-yr old bareroot plant with a large root system during the first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here