Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good source for Plant Skydd?

Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:03

I need a couple lbs. of Plant Skydd to keep deer off some young apple trees. Anyone know of a cheap source?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good source for Plant Skydd?

I would consider Deer Out instead, in my experience it works about as well and you can buy it in gallon concentrate. Plant Skydd soon ages into a super stinky mess that clogs your sprayer. Deer Out is used like any spray additive, 1 1/2 cups per gallon and you are good to go. Shelf life is over a year.

I am doing OK this spring so far with Deer Out, I have a fence up on their main approach and have been keeping the Deer Out coverage constant.

Scott

o

Scott is right of course... I don't even try to spray it. I make a light paste in a coffee can and paint it on with an old paint brush. I figure since it works on fear, it's trying to keep the deer out of the general area rather than making the individual parts of the tree taste bad. After doing that, at other times, I'll mix in Deer Out with my normal fungicide/insecticide sprays. By rotating sprays I hope to keep the deer from building up a tolerance to one or the other. (Sometimes, when I don't have any fruit on the tree, I'll also spray smelly Liquid Fence for the same reason). Anyway, I got mine right from PlantSkyDD.com.
-Glenn

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 20:26

Thanks Scott and Glenn. Based on what you guys are telling me, perhaps I'll start with the Deer Out. Do you know a cheap source of Deer Out?

o

I get my DeerOut at my local nursery, or from www.deerout.com. I just got an email from them the other day. If you use the code "Deer 11", you get $5 off.
-Glenn

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 23:52

Thanks Glenn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here