Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With Weed Control In Blackberries

Posted by SgtKarl 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:09

Hello All,

I have various and numerous weeds growing in and around my blackberry plants. I have pulled the ones right around the plants but would like to know if there is a herbicide that is safe to use on the weeds and not harm the blackberries.

Research suggests soaps, clove oil, or pelargonic acid (Sythe) sprayed carefully away from the blackberry plants.

I also plan on putting down pine bark mulch to control weeds. What depth of mulch would control weeds but allow the primocanes to emerge.

Thank you for your help.

Karl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With Weed Control In Blackberries

Just mulch heavily, please don't use herbicides. Mulch, mulch, mulch! Blackberries are pretty hardy, they will likely emerge.. Also, just keep pulling the weeds roots.. Pull and mulch, pull and mulch!

Weeds aren't going to damage your canes, why spray poisons on them just for your own preference? Work with the weeds! Research foraging, find out what weeds is growing, it is probably edible, and highly medicinal. A lot of weeds grow for a reason, to benefit the soil, not to hurt anything. Lay down a layer of mulch and watch your problem dissipate.

Joe

o

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I'll get the kids to pulling weeds and mulch them.

Karl

o

Keeping a one-foot radius free of weeds around each blackberry clump is all that's necessary. Mulch that area 3-4" to suppress weeds; primocanes will emerge fine.

Clearing a larger radius of weeds will allow weeding less often as they will not encroach on the canes so often.

o

Add some sand to the surface. When you weed, the sand works itself in and makes weeding easier the next time. The blackberries like the sand too.

o

Spread newspapers or cardboard under the mulch to help suppress weeds even more. Northwoodswis

o

Landscape fabric if used by alot of commercial growers, there is a poster on this site that has a u-pick farm, see his pictures of how he does it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barber berry farm

o

I've done everything that is suggested above and I still have lots and lots of weeds. If you apply a lot of mulch, it eventually breaks down into compost and makes a nice fluffy layer on the surface. Weeds are a lot easier to pull out of the fluff than the soil.

o

Yeah, what John said, all these weed seeds that grow up in my mulch come out very easily...

o

Thank all of you for the information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here