Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Gage Plum tree not leafing out yet

Posted by Jerseymec NJ ( 6b) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:28

Hello,
I planted green gage plum tree(about 5' tall) last summer in my backyard. It did pretty well with the green foliage and all. Its almost end of april and I dont see a single leaf on it. Some branches look dead ( dry and crack if bent). I did the bark sratch on the main branch some where in the mid height and it looks green. The younger branches at the top look dry and withered with buds which seem like they are dead. I have been watering it daily, I have fertilized it with Dr. Earth's organic fertilizer for fruit trees, dehydrated manure. Can anyone suggest what i can do to bring it back to life? I can post pictures if need be. I really hope it isnt dead. I wonder if by Late blooming of European plum it mean they leaf out later too compared to the Japanese plums. Should I prune it? what to do. Im afraid I will kill it.

thanks for any advice!
Charles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Gage Plum tree not leafing out yet

That happened to me with a green 'Bavay' gage. It died one year later. Yep its dead. What is amazing is that when you crack off a brittle branch, it smells like prunes. Mrs. G

o
RE: Green Gage Plum tree not leafing out yet

In NJ, it definitely should have leafed out by now. As to what killed it, who knows?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here