Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rookie gardner, fruit trees and berry bushes

Posted by Sweetpea3829 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 10:57

Hi everyone. My husband and I just purchased a home here in upstate NY. We then purchased twelve fruit trees, fifteen berry bushes and two grape vines. The trees and vines came in this past week and, with the help of our neighbors and church family, we got them planted.

We are awaiting the berry bushes next week.

We have absolutely no idea what we are doing. Our neighbors are mostly mennonite and they have been very helpful, but, they have their own orchards and patches to tend to. So we're looking for any and all information we might need to know to keep these plants all healthy.

The varieties are as follows:

10 Caroline Red Raspberries
5 Blueberries (high brush I think)
2 Pears, 1 Blake's Pride and 1 Gorham
4 Peaches: PF1, Contender, Red Haven, Madison
3 Cherries: White Gold Sweet, Benton Sweet, and Lapins Sweet
3 Apples: Gold Rush, McIntosh, and Honeycrisp

The grapes are Reliance red seedless and Niagra white seeded

The trees were all bare root. The holes were dug some time ago (my husband broke his leg, so our church has been helping us out by getting the holes dug ahead of time), the trees were placed with no fertilizer and then I laid a layer of hay mulch around each tree and each grape vine, but not touching the trunk.

Anything else we need to know? Our neighbor said he will come and prune the trees in another day or so.

We haven't done anything yet to prepare for these berry bushes. And I'm not quite sure what's needed. I do know we need to till the area. About how big of an area should we till? How deep do these get planted?

Many thanks for any and all help!

--Rookie Gardener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rookie gardner, fruit trees and berry bushes

Come next year, your in for a world of WORK;-)

I would make sure you know when to spray and for what. Here is a website that has a detailed spray chart.

http://www.virginiafruit.ento.vt.edu/SprayGuide/HomeFruitSprays.html

Now you can cut back on ALOT of work and headache by spraying for disease and pests at the proper time every year. Fruit trees are not "plant and forget". Also, find a good source on the different types of pruning methods as you want your trees to get as much light and air as possible for maximum fruit. And when you prune this FIRST TIME, no more than 1/3 off the top:-)

Dont worry, with all the pros around here and a good regiment of know what to do when, you should be OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here