Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea3829

Rookie gardner, fruit trees and berry bushes

Sweetpea3829
11 years ago

Hi everyone. My husband and I just purchased a home here in upstate NY. We then purchased twelve fruit trees, fifteen berry bushes and two grape vines. The trees and vines came in this past week and, with the help of our neighbors and church family, we got them planted.

We are awaiting the berry bushes next week.

We have absolutely no idea what we are doing. Our neighbors are mostly mennonite and they have been very helpful, but, they have their own orchards and patches to tend to. So we're looking for any and all information we might need to know to keep these plants all healthy.

The varieties are as follows:

10 Caroline Red Raspberries

5 Blueberries (high brush I think)

2 Pears, 1 Blake's Pride and 1 Gorham

4 Peaches: PF1, Contender, Red Haven, Madison

3 Cherries: White Gold Sweet, Benton Sweet, and Lapins Sweet

3 Apples: Gold Rush, McIntosh, and Honeycrisp

The grapes are Reliance red seedless and Niagra white seeded

The trees were all bare root. The holes were dug some time ago (my husband broke his leg, so our church has been helping us out by getting the holes dug ahead of time), the trees were placed with no fertilizer and then I laid a layer of hay mulch around each tree and each grape vine, but not touching the trunk.

Anything else we need to know? Our neighbor said he will come and prune the trees in another day or so.

We haven't done anything yet to prepare for these berry bushes. And I'm not quite sure what's needed. I do know we need to till the area. About how big of an area should we till? How deep do these get planted?

Many thanks for any and all help!

--Rookie Gardener.

Comment (1)