Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tree and fire blight risk

Posted by MulberryMary Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 11:01

Good day gardeners,

Last summer we cut down a backyard apple tree that was suffering badly from fireblight.

I want to plant a sour cherry tree (north star) this year. Near the apple tree stump would be my preferred spot.

Should I worry about fireblight from the stump infecting the cherry tree? If so, does it make a difference if I plant the cherry tree ten feet away instead of right next to the stump? (It's a back yard, not an acreage)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tree and fire blight risk

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 11:10

Mulberry:

Cherries don't get fire blight so no concern there. It might be better planted 10ft away or at least a few feet. But for us backyard growers other considerations usually prevail. So I'd say plant it wherever is best for sun etc. Do remove all of the apple stump that you can if it's rotted. But again I won't spend $$$ removing a solid stump.

o

Thanks! Good to know that cherry trees aren't susceptible. I thought since they are somewhat related to apples they might suffer too.

o

With cherry, you need to look out for bacterial canker. It is rather common and troublesome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here