Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf apple trees

Posted by Priscilla1969 New York (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:03

I have had 4 dwarf apple tree for about 7 years now. Which I bought from my sister when they were about 5 years old. In the 7 years that I have had them I have only got one apple. Yes 1. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. What is a good fertilzer that I should try and when should I use it. I live in upstate NY. The trees are starting to bud. Also I did not prun them this year. Is it to late to do that? Please help. I would love to get maybe 2 apples this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf apple trees

You can still prune but, seems like theyr'e not growing much?
Then..compost, old manure or higher middle number fertilizer.

o
RE: Dwarf apple trees

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:44

Same issue with mine in Central Kentucky, but for semi-dwarfs! On the 5th year and am lucky to have 1 or 2 apples. I even do the routine fungicides\ pesticide schedules. Part of the problem for me is that although Fuji and McIntosh are supposed to be compatible, the Fuji blooms first and just as it is closing off its last blooms the McIntosh starts blooming. There is a very narrow time (talking a week at most) where both trees have a few blooms each. I just planted two Goldrush dwarfs that are supposed to be compatible with both, so I am hoping for a super long bloom time created by adding these to help the Fuji and McIntosh. I think pollination is my biggest issue. I'm the only yard around for miles with apple trees evidently! I did put out a liquid blooming and rooting fertilizer a month or so ago, so will see if that helps. The local gardening radio show guy said to fertilize in the fall and in winter wouldn't hurt, so I figured I would give that a try too.

Maybe your issue is also pollination. I don't see many bees around anymore. I am also going to plant a lot more flowers this year to try to attract more pollinators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here