Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellis Completed

Posted by thepodpiper 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 11:04

Well my berry order arrived from Indiana Berry and all are planted. Just thought I would put a couple of pics to show the finished product. Thanks to everyone who helped with all of my Q's about building the trellis and selecting the berries. Did not realize that bare root plants would look so dead but I guess thats the way they are?

RASBERRIES
Anne
Caroline
Prelude

BLACKBERRIES
Natchez
Ouchita
Kiowa
Triple Crown
Chester

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellis Completed

• Posted by ozzz 5b AZ (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 12:29

Thats fantastic, Im doing something just like it as we speak. How did you notch out the main post for your T posts?? A router??

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 12:30

That looks really nice. Those end posts must be sunk pretty deep to be holding the wire taught with no bracing. Are they cemented?

o

ozzz, I used my circ saw and just made a bunch of saw cuts then knocked them out with a hammer then smooted it out with the saw. I would not recommended using the saw to smooth it out unless you are handy with the saw. If not just use a chisel.

murky, they are sunk in about 2 1/2 ft. and cemented.

o

The trellis looks great. You might need to add a dead man on each end after a few years. I did a few of these for apple espaliers and blackberries, and I set some in concrete but they sagged anyway after a number of years.

As for notching, a good hand saw and a chisel is all that is needed. There are a lot of things you can do with hand tools that are actually quicker, safer, and easier then with power tools.

Good luck with the berries.

o

Attention to detail to make it right. I wish I had that trait. I am one of those, Cut to suit, Beat to fit, then Paint to match.

Well done.

o

Nice! Good ol American craftwork!

Podpiper what state are you in? I like your green land!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here