Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_kemnitz

Japanese beetles

johnnysapples
11 years ago

Has anyone come up with a good way to protect fruit trees from Japanese beetles?

Comments (9)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

I don't think there is a good or easy way. What we have planned here for June bugs, which can be just as bad for a month or more, is to cover the trees with 30% woven black polypropylene shade cloth. It works much better as a shelter over multiple trees. A 20ft by 40 ft structure will cover my buddies 50+ stone fruit trees. Ya that's high density but will work. Also provides bird and hail protection.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Johnny,

I had very good luck with the "bug in a bag trap". You need to hang it about 40 yards away from your fruit trees at the first sign of the JB. I emptied the bag every day. For addiional bags, you can use bread's bag. Once the bag filled up, I tied it with a rubber band and chucked it in the trash can. My fruit trees were spared from the JB.

Tony

• johnnysapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks I will check on those ideas.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

There is guy on here that uses Surround on his blackberries and other plants and I cant remember his screen name. At any rate he said it works great on his plants for June Bugs. I have Surround but have not used it yet. Our June bugs have settled way down the last 2 weeks. Proir to that is was a infestation. I would kill at least 50 a night before I went to bed and nother 50 in the morning before work. That went on for about 3 weeks!

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Evil bugs..mine all seemed to attack my sweet cherries.

• curtis
    11 years ago

I am very happy to use my first post with a helpful tip.

I discovered this by accident when I was knocking them off the leaves into soapy water. they are repelled by the smell of their own dead. So #1 get the theramone bag traps as mentioned above, and put them away from your trees/bushes, then every 1-2 days put a new bag in the trap and hang the bag of dead in your trees and bushes.

another thing, if they are on your plant they will attract others, so at least shake the plant to run them off. I take pleasure in
    knocking them off the leaves into the soapy water and then verbally taunting them

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

This good read about bags.

Here is a link that might be useful: estimated 32,000 killed at 4,000 per bag

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I had Japanese beetles attacking my grape vines. Spectracide spray killed them within one hour. They did not have much time to cause much damage.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

"Spectracide spray killed them within one hour"

As soon as it wears off they will be back. I wish it was so easy, spray again, and when it wears out, they once again will return, for the next 4 or 5 months. Have fun! OK, if you're lucky only 4-5 weeks. Yeah you have to use something for sure.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 8:43