Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jopparich

Looking for Apple Scions

JoppaRich
9 years ago

I planted 30 geneva 30 rootstocks this spring. I was told that it would be fine to plant these in the spring, and then graft them later in the summer when they'd settled in and were growing.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that I should get the scions a month ago and keep them in cold storage. I figured they'd be available later. (new to this and all, don't know any better)

So, I'm looking for scions for trade, for sale, for cost of shipping, whatever. All of the online places seem to be shut down for the year. Its a lot of trees, so I'm not looking for anything specific at this point - I'm sure there's plenty of fantastic apples that I've never tried.

Comments (6)

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Joppa:

I presume whomever told you ok to graft late summer meant budding? That is what I do. I am too busy to graft in spring so I plant the rootstocks and bud in late July/early
    August. If that was the plan, then you want to take budwood off current season's growth from the varieties you wish to bud right at budding time.

I have never tried holding dormant scions in cooler and grafting in summer so not sure how to respond to that
    question. Nor sure how long dormant scions can be stored
    in cooler and remain viable. I doubt they would survive
    til late summer.

Even in cold storage I have seen bare-root plants just leaf out despite the cold temperatures come mid-May. You may not be able to hold dormant scions that long. I have held them all winter in cold storage for spring but it doesn't seem to work the same holding plants dormant thru spring/summer.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

i tried this a few years ago and I didn't have good results. My advice to you is to be glad you don't have your scion yet and just baby the rootstocks through this first year. They need more roots than typically come with liners. I tried this on G.11 I believe.

If you have not grafted before, it would be wise to practice this year. Konrad's modified bark graft , and the like, look so easy, but I have found that, just like anything else, it's practice that makes it look easy.

• JoppaRich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've grafted a bunch of Citrus, so I have atleast some experience with that.

If I do use current year growth during the summer, how does one get it for new varieties? Are there any vendors that sell live wood at that time of year?

• curtis
    9 years ago

You have to graft with dormant scions. The union does not happen fast enough to be able to graft with scions that are needing to support bud growth immediately.

Bud grafting in August requires that you be able to get a clipping and get home and graft same day. I don't see how it could be done though the mail in time.

You need to be reading this forum like some people read facebook. there is a whole lot about apples to know if you are going to be successful

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

JoppaRick. As mentioned earlier. Your best option now is to do what I refer to as June Budding. You need to make some quick local friends that has the apple varieties you desire. You can cut this years growth into 6-9" sections and put in a small ziplock bag for a few days while budding. These buds must be kept moist and cool from the time of cutting until budded. Just secure the buds onto your rootstock for about 21 days and then cut off top. Growth should start in 1-3 weeks. Google june bedding and get more specific guidlines. Hope this helps. Bill

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

You need to be reading this forum like some people read facebook.

Why would anyone waste time on Facebook instead of spending it on GW? :)

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 1:02