Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white nectarine question?

Posted by tj-oak 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 11:22

I live in the country of central C.A. 50 miles south of Sacramento. I have a little fruit orchard that I planted. This year I added 2 white nectarines. One is a late season and the other is a mid season. The late season one has leafed out like the rest of my orchard but the mid season one has not. If you look close it sure looks like it has little leaf buds on it but every day I look, and it hasn't done anything. Is there something I should do or just replace it? Also I hate to say it but my new late season nectarine has lost 2 of it's 4 branches, is there a way that I can get that tree to send out one or two branches out of it? It's pushing leaves good right now. By the way these were bare root, thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white nectarine question?

tj:

The way to tell if the tree has hope is to scrape on the limbs. If it is green under the bark the tree from that point down still has a chance to push buds. Brown and it's dead from there out.

To push more limbs down low you need to prune the tree down to a lower height. But this is most effective if done while the tree is still dormant. After it gets growing, cutting back may not push many new buds.

o

Sometimes peaches just don't leaf out, the plant may not have the energy. I had one tree sit there for two years doing absolutely nothing but still green; it finally died. Every once in awhile a tree will wait until the next spring to leaf out but usually they are toast. There may also be some chill issue with your tree, I don't know about chill so can't help on that aspect.

Scott

o

tj, we've had such an odd winter and early spring that I wouldn't worry about this too much, yet. Be sure you're watering adequately, and I would also make sure to apply a good fertilizer formulated for fruit trees. I use Grow Power "Bloom & Grow". Water it in well. As our temps start to warm up, I bet your mid-season peach will wake up. I have my much higher chill hour peaches (Saturn, Donut) finally blooming, while my lower chill hour and mid-season interpecifics like Bella Gold peacotum finally starting to leaf out and bloom. They are young trees. Give them a couple of seasons to get acclimated to our milder weather, and they will start to behave more appropriately.

Patty S.

o

I did make a little scape at the end of the branch and it was green. This is a awesome site I'am glad I found it, thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here