mrclint_so_cal

'Big Jim' loquat

MrClint
9 years ago

'Big Jim' loquat ripening nicely:

Comments (19)

• blueboy1977
    9 years ago

Love me some Loquats! I got a variety called Genoa Loquat from a guy in my local area. He brought seeds from a huge white loquat he ate in Italy. Grew them out and sells grafted trees from his back yard. Said they are twice as big as any loquat he's seen in the states and said they are delicious. I can't wait to try them!

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, love the easy care, tropical look and taste of loquats. The harvest timing is right too -- just after oranges and just before peaches.

Would like to see a picture of those beauties! Big Jim is the largest variety that I know of and it's a yellow. The only white I'm growing is 'Champagne' and it's smaller than Big Jim.

• blueboy1977
    9 years ago

I only have one Loquat and its still just a whip at this point. Its only 4ft tall with one branch. I want to add another one so I will look into Big Jim. Have you tasted that one yet? Do most taste alike? Ive tasted several but no idea of the varieties.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Big Jim in San Jose

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

melikeeatplants, looking good.

• blueboy1977
    9 years ago

So how does Big Jim compair to other loquats? Ive only eaten a few random fruits and they were all good. Does anyone have a preference for certain varieties? Is Big Jim the best overall yellow loquat?

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blueboy1977, that's a dang good question! To make a long story longer... I grew up surrounded by 'Golden Nugget' and chance seedlings, so I can't be considered a loquat connoisseur by any stretch. They were all very good eating though if you caught them at the right time. The challenge of hunting down the best tasting variety would be getting a sample of all the varieties at peak of flavor. At the end of the day I went with 'Big Jim' and 'Champagne' based on size and reputation alone.

Do take some time to read Loco for Loquats by renowned fruit hunter/writer David Karp.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I start sampling both loquats, I can detect a slight citrus "edge" to the 'Champagne' loquat that is very appealing. 'Big Jim' has a mellower flavor, which means less acidity.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

melikeeatplants,
    When do yours start ripening?I know a guy in Fremont and when I visit there,it's too early or late.It seems like every street has a few trees.
    The only ones I've tried,were picked in the city (SF) and they were small and okay but had mostly seeds.Probably were picked late too. Brady

Here's that tree
    {{gwi:82872}}
    and it's fruit
    {{gwi:82873}}

• Voyage034
    9 years ago

The pictured tree is a Bronze Loquat, Eriobotrya deflexa. The edible ones like 'Big Jim' are Eriobotrya japonica.

There are a lot of great lesser known varieties here in San Diego selected by Big Jim himself. Scion wood may be obtainable by attending the monthly CRFG meetings in Balboa Park. 'China Doll' is one of my favorites.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Voyage034, loquats are a hard fruit to taste test for ordinary folks. I've never had one that blew my doors off, but also never had a spitter yet either.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Mr. Clint, I'm always a bit reluctant to open your posts because I'm afraid of drowning in nostalgia. My father's second wife is selling my boyhood home in Topanga where I planted a single loquat- probably just a seedling.

The house is just a short ways up from Topanga Creek on W. Hillside Dr. a couple miles before the PO. More often than not, freezes would knock off the crop there- it was a cold spot. When it did have fruit it was heavenly to be picking it in early spring. Otherwise I'd have to find plants by the beach to enjoy those early pickings.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

harvestman, that's a nice area over there. I'm sure we knew some of the same people. I don't remember all the names due to the fog of time. :)

Up until the release and widespread availability of the 'Gold Nugget' mandarin, loquats were just about the only fruit to be eaten off the tree and out of hand in early spring.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

"melikeeatplants,
    When do yours start ripening?I know a guy in Fremont and when I visit there,it's too early or late.It seems like every street has a few trees. "

well, my big jim is young, 1st year fruiting, but it seems to be following the pattern of trees i eat from off the street. some are ripe now and some are still green, various stages in between.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I had a Big Jim this morning that was a deep dark orange. It had some blemishes on it, and was certainly no thing of beauty, but the taste was sublime. No way am I giving up on this guy! :)

• inna779
    9 years ago

Hello, I would like to buy seeds to grow Big Jim. Does anybody know where cat I found?

• gonebananas_gw
    9 years ago

These are the largest I've seen photos of. Found in a Spanish market.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2194346/loquat-varities-does-it-matter-from-seed

I have discovered that thinning (accidental included) increases size notably, so that may be part of it.

• inna779
    9 years ago

Thank you. I saw these pictures but I cannot find anu place, where i can buy Big Jim seeds:))

• Diyfreddy
    5 years ago

So maybe I’ll revive this old thread. Made an impulse buy today at my local HD. Brought home a “champagne” loquat. Found it’s planting site, and then noticed an additional tag labeled “big jim.” Darn big box stores! Won’t know what I have until it fruits but which is best in your opinion for those of you that have had both. I prefer a little tartness.