Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting grapes - Help!

Posted by Raw_Nature 5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 11:36

I am a little puzzled about the proper way to prune grapes when planting,etc... Everyplace I go to research, they all have different methods, depending on variety,etc.. Can you guys led me in the right direction?

I have a couple of seeded:

Concord
Catawba
Niagara

Much appreciated,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting grapes - Help!

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 20:25

Stick them in the ground, cut back to one or two strong nodes, and train the strongest shoot up your trellis.

o

What should I do once they reach the trellis? How far apart should I space each vine? What's the best way to prune the vines?

Thanks fruitnut, you are the man!

Joe

o

Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:01

When the shoot reaches the trellis pinch out the tip so it will branch out. I'd space them out at least 6ft, 8ft if you have the room. I've pruned every grape I've grown by cane pruning and never been disappointed.

o

Basically you only have to remember one thing when pruning grapes, and let it guide you.

Grapes only form on green wood. That means they only grow on vine that grew this year from last year's vine.

So what you want to do is prune it so that you get a nice main skeleton that you leave every year with buds that will grow new lengths of vine next year.

Think of it like scaffolding. Whatever you don't prune will be the scaffold for next year. The scaffold won't produce anything you want, its just the framework for what you do want to grow on.

o

Thanks guys! So the buds break, grows a shoot, and that same shoot produces grapes? The same years growth prodcuces the grapes?

o

Yup, which is why when you are pruning you want to make sure and leave enough buds for the vine to regrow from.

o

Thanks! I appreciate it my friend! What would you space the vines?

Joe

o

Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:18

Raw

The bunches form on new growth. But only new growth from last years growth. Buds that push from wood older than last years wood, don't set fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here