Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracks in bark on Royal apricot tree

Posted by centexgardengirl 8b-Central TX (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:37

Hi all. I planted a Royal apricot tree about 6 weeks ago. It developed small hairline cracks horizontally, I have seen a small amount of amber colored sap but no evidence of insect infestation of any kind. The tree is about 1.5" in diameter and was purchased from a reputable nursery. Any idea what could be causing this and should I be concerned? It is part of a high density planting and shares space with a Blenheim apricot and a Surecrop nectarine. Thanks, Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracks in bark on Royal apricot tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:52

Yes you should be concerned if the cracks extend all the way into the cambium. Is the bark loose around the cracks? Is the tree growing well?

o

What causes cracks?

We have some old trees, and the trunks have some pretty deep cracks that look like they've been there for years. An apricot, a peach, a plum. They seem healthy. All are loaded with fruit, and their leaves are very green. They are on a steep hillside, and it's hard to get down to the trunks.

Wondering what the worry is.

Suzi

o

Thanks fruitnut, the cracks are very small and on the surface only. The tree seems to be growing well and has leafed out but no blossoms. My other apricot, the Blenheim had many blooms, then leaves and actually set fruit but a late frost killed them.

Thanks,

Karen

o

desertdance, what a coincidence mine are all on a hill too but in raised beds because the soil is so rocky here and very clay-ey. Hopefully I'm fretting over nothing...

Thanks,

Karen

o

desertdance, what a coincidence mine are all on a hill too but in raised beds because the soil is so rocky here and very clay-ey. Hopefully I'm fretting over nothing...

Thanks,

Karen

o

Mine are just on a slope that is part of the leach fields from the septic, and I think they get so much fertilizer that they just grow!

So do the weeds.

I guess the fear of cracks in the bark would be disease or bugs or something, but these trees are so old, and the cracks are so deep.... And they are so loaded with fruit.........

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here