Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing rootstocks

Posted by docmattman 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 11:44

I have a bunch of volunteers popping up under my apple trees. I dug up a few and planted them separately so that I can try some grafting in the future. Right now they are about half the diameter of a pencil, so probably too small to graft. Maybe I'll try budding them in the summer if they are big enough by then.

Anyway, the small rootstocks are starting to leaf out. Should I remove some of the remaining buds in order to promote "trunk" growth or does it not matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing rootstocks

I'm really new at rootstock grafting but I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan to graft directly on it soon and you know for sure what size your scion is then I'd suggest picking whichever branch or main stem seems closest to the size of your scion and remove others. Considering your zone I'd think the sooner the better. My books say best to graft at fullbud. But of course I repeat I'm a newbie who read lots and lots but is sadly lacking in actual experience.

Pam in cinti

o

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I need to wait for the rootstock to get thicker (it's about half the diameter of a pencil right now)? Or do you think as long as I have a scion that matches the size it will be fine?

o

I think you need someone with more experience to answer. My sources strongly suggested practicing on extra stuff first. So I spent several hours working on prunings. In my opinion stock just slightly smaller than pencil is easist to work with. However my book showed grafts done on mere seedlings. I bet that takes a fine steady hand. If you have a great deal of stuff to graft onto those smaller stocks then give it a try. If, however, your scion stock is limited then you'd be better off both practicing and letting your rootstock size up a bit.

For what it's worth from a newbie.

Pam in cinti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here